ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX 835 / 828 usage update - what I've learned  (Read 16133 times)

Rusty Stevens

SRX 835 / 828 usage update - what I've learned
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »

Hello all. As always your mileage may vary with any of this, but I wanted to share what I've learned trying multiple configurations.

2x835 will overpower 2x828 (stood on end) in a left/right stack configuration outside when pushed to 75% (stock default SRX main/sub settings). At a lower volume, indoor level it sounds fine.

4x835 will overpower 4x828 in a 2 each left/right stack (subs laid flat and stacked) same as above but louder. 835's may start to walk around on top of the subs. I see no point in using this configuration inside. about 128db C Fast at 10'.

2x835 on 4x828 split into a left/right stack sounds nice and even. 835's WILL walk on around when the system is pushed. 300+ bodies kill the high end and vocal clarity at anything over 50' as this stack configuration is a bit short. Nice mix for a less dense crowd.

2x835 will sound nice, full, and even when on short stands (ultimate clutch style speaker stands) with 2x828 center clustered outside. The subs start to run out of steam first on kick drum heavy music and you tickle the limiters on the tops. You are hitting 105db C fast at FOH /~75' and 122db C fast at the 10' audience barrier at this point. While the ultimate stands are rated to hold the weight of the 835 cabinets they are not as stable feeling as one would like. Base full wide is fine but there is a fair amount of flex in the upright pole. Would not recommend for anything but a solid concrete floor with no extension in the stands.

2x835 on tall stands (ST132 no extension) with 4x828 center clustered (laid flat in 2x2 configuration)... You will need to pull back the kicks and the bass guitar as compared to the other configurations. Keyboard players may jump with surprise the first time they hit a really low note. The 835's will run out of steam first (at this point the SPL is somewhere around rip your face off loud). The ST132's are super stable and get the cabinets up high enough to cover a surprisingly large area evenly. The low end extension is where this configuration shines. My old meter broke and my new one only does A weighted measurements. I was at 105db A at 50' FOH position. It was loud, clean, and even sounding with only minor phasing in a couple of locations.

Hope this helps someone in their experimentation. I believe that I could easily cover 1000 head using the second set of 835's as delay stacks. Nominal coverage area outdoors (for these examples) is ~7000 square foot main lawn and patio with a spill over to a ~23000 square foot parking lot. Entire area was covered fairly evenly and the mix sounded good everywhere on the property.

Mark Wilkinson

Re: SRX 835 / 828 usage update - what I've learned
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:48:26 AM »

Thanks Rusty, it's always great to hear review like this...

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

Thank you Rusty.  Great info!

kel mcguire

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »

that's some valuable and usable information right there. Thanks!

With centered subs, was there a significant lobe coming up onstage, perhaps right at the lead vocal spot?

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:54:26 PM »

Great review Rusty!

I have the 815p tops on poles over (1) 818 per side. I have to turn my tops down in this configuration, but the system sounds great.

My upgrade path is to get (2) more 818's. I could then stack the 818's, and run the 815's way up high on poles. I've coupled the 818's together a few times and love the sound of the two working together.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »

Thanks for the review Rusty.  I've been demoing the SRX835P's from a friend of mine, and we just picked up 8 of the SRX 828's.. IMHO they outperform our S30's in sound quality, and are pretty close in volume with 8 S30's.. we used the S30's last year, and the SRX828's this year.. My buddy is selling his 4 835's and 2 828s to downgrade to a smaller rig for their band, so I'm working on picking the rig up from him by the end of the year, this way we have something for our LTLA (less than line array) shows and for my small festival work.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Scott Gentry

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:02:56 PM »

Hello all. As always your mileage may vary with any of this, but I wanted to share what I've learned trying multiple configurations.

2x835 will overpower 2x828 (stood on end) in a left/right stack configuration outside when pushed to 75% (stock default SRX main/sub settings). At a lower volume, indoor level it sounds fine.

Rusty, thank you for the review, I'm glad you are happy with the results you're getting from your rig.

If I may, you said the 2-835's will outrun 2-828's. I was curious to know, in your opinion, do the 835's put out that much, or the 828's not quite enough to keep up, or a little of both. On the surface I would have thought the 2-828's, giving 4 18's would be enough to stay with the mains. Thank you again for the review!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »

Rusty, thank you for the review, I'm glad you are happy with the results you're getting from your rig.

If I may, you said the 2-835's will outrun 2-828's. I was curious to know, in your opinion, do the 835's put out that much, or the 828's not quite enough to keep up, or a little of both. On the surface I would have thought the 2-828's, giving 4 18's would be enough to stay with the mains. Thank you again for the review!
That's very typical, actually. The 835 and 828 are both fairly high output boxes, but low frequencies are a harder physics problem.  This is true of pretty much every system out there; potentially by a wide margin depending on the requirements of the genre.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:19 PM »

"Top" boxes have gotten a lot better/louder/cleaner in the last few years but there hasn't been a corresponding increase in subwoofer output that is not constrained by physics - size, weight, power, DSP latency.

JBL suggests a 3:2 ratio of tops to subs in the VerTec 4889 series but for rap, hip hop, most EDM and hard rock we go 1:1 or 2:3.  We could get by with the 3:2 but I don't want to drive the subs that hard, that long, and end up smelling hot voice coils.

In a situation where the user is constrained by a 1:1 ratio, the solution is to turn down which ever box has more output than the other... or in the case of subs, use more of them.  TANSTASFL.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rusty Stevens

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »

The lobe covers the entire 20x20 stage pretty evenly. Not badly enough to cause kick feedback or wash out the other mics. I also high pass most everything that doesn't need the lower freq content so even if the mic is picking it up the extra content is ignored in the output.

that's some valuable and usable information right there. Thanks!

With centered subs, was there a significant lobe coming up onstage, perhaps right at the lead vocal spot?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.