ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Advice for Wide and Shallow Room  (Read 4234 times)

Bryan French

Speaker Advice for Wide and Shallow Room
« on: October 01, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »

I've been asked to help my church select speakers to install in one of our smaller worship rooms. The dimensions of the room are as follows:

Ceiling Height: 9'6"
Width: 53'
Depth 26'6"

The room also has a stage that is 12'wide by 8' deep by 6" tall. The stage is located against one of the 53' walls in the center.

Ceiling mounting of the speakers is budgeted and we have a metal fabricator who can facilitate us in safely hanging the speakers. This project will be inspected and fully to code before the congregation is allowed in the room. We take safety very seriously.

The primary goal of the system is to provide intelligible speech during the sermon. The secondary goal is to be able to provide music at around 95dB(C)-slow at the back of the room for an audience of around 130 people for two 30 minute worship sessions. Fairly even coverage from left to right in the room is important. The chairs start about 5 feet away from the walls on the sides. Even coverage from front to back would be nice, but probably not realistic due to the low ceiling height. Frequency response below 100 Hz is not important as there is no money for subs at the present.

There's only about $2000 to $2500 to spend on speakers.

I've currently designed a system that consists of 3 QSC K10 speakers ceiling mounted. I've been messing around in EASE Focus and the best deployment seems to be one speaker 8' into the room and angled 45 deg. down with speakers 10 feet to the right and left of the center speaker splayed 45 deg. I had a .jpg from EASE, but couldn't figure out how to attach a picture...sorry.

My questions are these:
Is there a better way to deploy these speakers for more even coverage?
Are there speakers more suited to this application in the same price range as the 3 K10's? We have a spare DC-One to use in this room, so onboard DSP is not entirely necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

-Bryan

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Speaker Advice for Wide and Shallow Room
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

Ceiling mounting of the speakers is budgeted and we have a metal fabricator who can facilitate us in safely hanging the speakers. This project will be inspected and fully to code before the congregation is allowed in the room. We take safety very seriously.

The yokes made by QSC are probably worth the investment whether or not you have a metal fabricator to build something. They allow the K10s to mount either horizontally or vertically and, being a pre-engineered product, are approved for such use. It sounds like the ability to mount horizontally will be a big plus in this room.

There may be speakers that sound nominally better for the price such as the Yamaha DXR10 but without the mounting flexibility of the K10. I think you have a good solution there.

Bryan French

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 10:16:40 PM »

The yokes made by QSC are probably worth the investment whether or not you have a metal fabricator to build something. They allow the K10s to mount either horizontally or vertically and, being a pre-engineered product, are approved for such use. It sounds like the ability to mount horizontally will be a big plus in this room.

There may be speakers that sound nominally better for the price such as the Yamaha DXR10 but without the mounting flexibility of the K10. I think you have a good solution there.

Thanks. The plan was to use the K10 yokes. The metal fabricator would be needed to connect the yokes to the structure of the building. The ceiling is a drop ceiling with acoustical tile and unfit to hang the speakers from directly. The main reason for the K10's was because of the OEM mounting flexibility.

John Fiorello

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »

What about the JBL CBT70J speakers? They have a 150 degree dispersion and would have less front to back loss because of the internal array.

JF
Stop.  Think.  Speak.

Bryan French

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »

I know this one's old, but I thought I'd follow up...maybe some of you will at least get a laugh out of it.

First off, thanks to everyone who replied and PM'd me with help and advice. It was greatly appreciated.

Anyways, almost a year later and no solution has been purchased for the room. They're still using floor wedges on tripods in the front corners of the room. I just got an email today that let me know there are no funds to purchase a PA for the room, so the church bought a...

Berringher Eurolive B1200D-Pro!!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been asked to help integrate it with the existing setup, and I've opted to gracefully decline to have my name attached to this.

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me with this project.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.