ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SDRPlay as wireless scanner  (Read 6210 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
SDRPlay as wireless scanner
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »

Anyone ever tried the SDRPlay device and software for wireless scanning? Software looks very good, cost is very low, but is this something that would work well for situations where you need real-time scanning and monitoring of wireless signals?
Obviously it's designed as a wide range scanner, not just for wireless mics/IEMs, but would it work?
Here's a little overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=1_u9bMkcZv4
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tom Provenza

Re: SDRPlay as wireless scanner
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »

Anyone ever tried the SDRPlay device and software for wireless scanning? Software looks very good, cost is very low, but is this something that would work well for situations where you need real-time scanning and monitoring of wireless signals?
Obviously it's designed as a wide range scanner, not just for wireless mics/IEMs, but would it work?
Here's a little overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=1_u9bMkcZv4

Never used it. May not be the best tool for the job, but I think it would work OK for basic RF spectrum analysis for a small system. Keep in mind what it is, a low cost SDR receiver (even the housing is plastic). I also think it would be prudent to put a passband filter/pre-selector in front of it as well for the band you are interested in.

If it were me, I would probably take that $200 to use to get me into a Shure unit that supports WWB. I'm speaking from my perspective of being a amateur radio operator who has yet to jump into the SDR arena...and someone who needs to replace a couple channels of Audix RAD wireless myself.

I would expect Henry to jump in with his comments shortly as well.
------------------

Tom Provenza

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I know very little of such things, but from the video he says that the unit has passband filters which is one of the things that supposedly differentiates it from competitors.
There's a PRO version in a metal box too.
I like that you can click on a frequency and actually hear the signal there. Dunno if that's possible with WWB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

Tom Provenza

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:51:29 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I know very little of such things, but from the video he says that the unit has passband filters which is one of the things that supposedly differentiates it from competitors.
There's a PRO version in a metal box too.
I like that you can click on a frequency and actually hear the signal there. Dunno if that's possible with WWB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An external Helical filter would do a better job supressing strong out of band signals that may be too much for the built in hardware/software filters. As far as "hearing" the signal, that would only be in AM/FM modulation modes. I believe most of the modern wireless systems would all be using a digital modulation that would not be decoded by this hardware/software and you would be hearing something similar to White noise using narrowband FM mode, and some of the higher end models are running encryption as well.
------------------

Tom Provenza

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »

Still interested to know whether anyone thinks this would be a good tool for real-time scanning?
-Andy

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »

I fail to see why this product wouldn't work great for this purpose...

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:17 PM »

Been playing a bit more with this device, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to use it to (accurately) measure the RF output of a transmitter. (I realize connecting the device directly to the antenna will likely fry it as it can handle no more than 1mW) but are there RF pads that I can use and calculate back up what a transmitter is sending?
-Andy

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »

Been playing a bit more with this device, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to use it to (accurately) measure the RF output of a transmitter. (I realize connecting the device directly to the antenna will likely fry it as it can handle no more than 1mW) but are there RF pads that I can use and calculate back up what a transmitter is sending?

Sure, you can find attenuators with switches for just this purpose.  something with about 60db of insertion loss should do the trick.

I found this handy calculator that will convert from millwatts to microvolts for you.  Figure 10 microvolts as the most input signal you want to hit it with.  1uV should be full quieting on the RX.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »

Thanks, Scott. Do you happen to have handy a link to a suggested attenuator (I'd like to be able to measure 1mW to 250mW) and the calculator you mentioned?
-Andy

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »

Thanks, Scott. Do you happen to have handy a link to a suggested attenuator (I'd like to be able to measure 1mW to 250mW) and the calculator you mentioned?

RF Attenuators.

How much pad you need will depend on what input level your meter can handle. It's a simple calculation from that number up to 250mw to determine what you maximum pad would be.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 12:53:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.