ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Telex Audiocom setup  (Read 2040 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Question about Telex Audiocom setup
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »

Good day all,

I don't usually handle comms(nobody does they simply barely work when needed) and I would like to learn a bit more. I tracked down the manual for the MS4002 that we are using and have read through it but have a bit of a question for the gurus here.

Currently we have the MS4002 being the start and the end of 2 loops to provide fixed comms positions throughout the venue. To clarify channel one goes out of the MS4002, loops around and then returns into the paralleled input, same thing with channel two. The other points are simply paralleled XLR connections in stage boxed throughout the venue.

What I want to do is move the MS4002 from a rack backstage where it is simply being used to power the entire system to FOH so that out director can actually use the advanced interface in-stead of having different belt packs for each channel(you can understand why is is barely ever used...)

My question(eventually) is can I simply connect the XLR connectors that are currently in the input and outputs of the MS4002 together(basically completing the loop) and move the unit to FOH and connect to one of the connectors there without breaking the loop at the new position or would I need to break the loop at FOH and set it up the same way as it is currently in the rack backstage.

I have no issue breaking the loop at FOH was just thinking about leaving it in-tact as much as possible for future flexibility, there is no guarantee I will be around indefinitely to be able to handle this and documentation seems to go missing after a while.

If this isn't clear enough let me know and I will try to draw some diagrams with labels.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Question about Telex Audiocom setup
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »

. . .Currently we have the MS4002 being the start and the end of 2 loops to provide fixed comms positions throughout the venue. To clarify channel one goes out of the MS4002, loops around and then returns into the paralleled input, same thing with channel two.

Why the loop back? I'm not certain, but I could see this possibly causing audio anomalies.

. . . What I want to do is move the MS4002 from a rack backstage where it is simply being used to power the entire system to FOH so that out director can actually use the advanced interface in-stead of having different belt packs for each channel(you can understand why is is barely ever used...)

My question(eventually) is can I simply connect the XLR connectors that are currently in the input and outputs of the MS4002 together(basically completing the loop) and move the unit to FOH and connect to one of the connectors there without breaking the loop at the new position or would I need to break the loop at FOH and set it up the same way as it is currently in the rack backstage.

I have no issue breaking the loop at FOH was just thinking about leaving it in-tact as much as possible for future flexibility, there is no guarantee I will be around indefinitely to be able to handle this and documentation seems to go missing after a while.

If this isn't clear enough let me know and I will try to draw some diagrams with labels.

The master station can be placed anywhere in the cabling chain.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »

Why the loop back? I'm not certain, but I could see this possibly causing audio anomalies.

The master station can be placed anywhere in the cabling chain.

Thanks Henry,

If I didn't create the loop should the xlrs be terminated or can I just leave them unterminated.

I didn't install the system and I know very little about it other than I am going to take custody over it from now on so have no idea about why it would have been implemented that way.

I can't remember having any issues but it could also be a matter of I have never heard it implemented another way and correcting the install significantly improves audio quality.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »

Thanks Henry,

If I didn't create the loop should the xlrs be terminated or can I just leave them unterminated.

I didn't install the system and I know very little about it other than I am going to take custody over it from now on so have no idea about why it would have been implemented that way.

I can't remember having any issues but it could also be a matter of I have never heard it implemented another way and correcting the install significantly improves audio quality.

I believe that, per channel bus, once the first belt pack is connected, any circuit termination required is accomplished.

Disconnect the loop back at the base and compare the audio to that when the loop is made.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:27 PM »

Thanks.

Since there are always several beltpacks connected and an RTS wireless system to interface to wireless I guess that that should solve the termination issue then.

Will do the trial and error on the loop and update here tomorrow.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »

An update with some testing having been done.

There was in fact no loop simply two different chains for comms and moving the unit to FOH discovered this and is working perfectly.

I would like to thank Henry for his help.

Now to document everything so that people know what is going on in he future and to look for a ground loop on one of the comms channels...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:20:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.