ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Better router  (Read 7706 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Better router
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

I use a pair of Netgear WNDR3700 boxes. I turn off the 2.4gHz radio.

I made a base that goes on a tall mic stand

I use the Ubiquiti APs at home and at a client so I bought one I can mount up a tall speaker stand or a mic stand. Gonna try it out soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 02:56:38 PM »

NOTE: This is weekend warrior scale stuff

I'm using an Archer C7 (TP-Link) hidden SSID, 5Ghz band only, with WPA2 configured.
I turn on DHCP but set the starting address to 220. That allows 35 devices to connect, which should be more than enough.
I change the default IP range (3rd node) to something outside the "norm" - like 35.   So 192.168.35.*
Router IP becomes 192.168.35.1
Folks needing to run their own IEM mixes can connect via DHCP to 192.168.35.220 -> 192.168.35.255
Console(s) is/are static IP's OUTSIDE the DHCP range.. something like 192.168.35.100 thru 192.168.35.105
I use the android Wifi-analyzer app at a venue to scan for open channels, and change if needed.
Works great !

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »

Kemper, we used the Airport Express for a couple of years without any problems.  We ran into the same problem that you are having.  Our solution was to keep the Airport Express to hand out our ip address and a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-PRO for our actual wireless connection.  This setup works great.  We have used it all summer for shows up to 6,500 with no dropouts.  You might want to try the same setup.  We generally attach the Ubiquiti to either our truss or a 9' stand that we have.  Range is a solid 300 plus feet using an iPad.

Bill
Hey Bill,

That sounds like a great solution.  Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't heard of that WAP before.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:21:49 PM »

So I ended up getting the Netgear NightHawk 1900..
I've watched the video on getting the MR18 wifi hidden. How do I go about this for the Netgear?.

Edit.. I can open the wireless settings on the I Pad.. What do I do to hide it?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:27:07 PM by Kemper Watson »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »

So I ended up getting the Netgear NightHawk 1900..
I've watched the video on getting the MR18 wifi hidden. How do I go about this for the Netgear?.

Edit.. I can open the wireless settings on the I Pad.. What do I do to hide it?

The iPad's wireless settings or the WAP's settings?

I'd use a computer to configure the WAP (hide SSID, etc) and when doing so, turn off the ability to access those settings via WiFi.  Reboot the WAP when prompted and you should be all good.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »

I'd use a computer to configure the WAP (hide SSID, etc) and when doing so, turn off the ability to access those settings via WiFi.  Reboot the WAP when prompted and you should be all good.

Thank you Tim..

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 08:17:48 AM »

NOTE: This is weekend warrior scale stuff

I'm using an Archer C7 (TP-Link) hidden SSID, 5Ghz band only, with WPA2 configured.
I turn on DHCP but set the starting address to 220. That allows 35 devices to connect, which should be more than enough.
I change the default IP range (3rd node) to something outside the "norm" - like 35.   So 192.168.35.*
Router IP becomes 192.168.35.1
Folks needing to run their own IEM mixes can connect via DHCP to 192.168.35.220 -> 192.168.35.255
Console(s) is/are static IP's OUTSIDE the DHCP range.. something like 192.168.35.100 thru 192.168.35.105
I use the android Wifi-analyzer app at a venue to scan for open channels, and change if needed.
Works great !

I do just about the same thing and use either a TP Link Archer C7 or a Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Both routers work great.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »

Note that not all boxes use the term "hide ssid". Some may say not to broadcast the ssid.

We tend to talk about hiding it but that isn't an accurate term for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »

I've been using an ASUS RT-N66U router with good results.  I turn off the 2.4G radio as it interferes with my Line 6 wireless equipment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.