Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Smaart 7 measurement delay limit?

(1/2) > >>

Hayden J. Nebus:
Anyone know how much receive delay you can put on a Transfer measurement channel is smaart7?

I'm on windows with 8Gb RAM if it matters. This would be a electronic, not acoustic, measurement of two asynchronous, nominally coherent sources.

Just for grins a colleague in the R/E/P side of the biz wants to compare a few mastered wavs to some QC test pressings from the record plant. Only challenge I could think of is that it's a tall order to precisely time a needle drop.     

Erik Jerde:
If my memory serves I believe you can use wav files in smaart.  Why not just record the output then line up and compare?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on August 11, 2017, 12:23:37 PM ---If my memory serves I believe you can use wav files in smaart.  Why not just record the output then line up and compare?

--- End quote ---

^^^This^^^   You're going to have an AD conversion anyway to get into Smaart, why not just make it at the recording stage. Compare the 2 recordings. You will still have the needle drop and all the other vinyl artifacts.

Mac

Hayden J. Nebus:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on August 11, 2017, 12:23:37 PM ---If my memory serves I believe you can use wav files in smaart.  Why not just record the output then line up and compare?

--- End quote ---

Because I'm looking to blow an afternoon, not a week :-)

Another consideration is that the device under test is a system containing the playback rig as much as the plant, with a transducer and filter network at each end.

I was thinking a couple of preamps and a handful of cartridges would produce a decent set of data that could be collected fairly quickly in near real-time.

Mark Wilkinson:

--- Quote from: Hayden J. Nebus on August 11, 2017, 05:45:14 PM ---Because I'm looking to blow an afternoon, not a week :-)

Another consideration is that the device under test is a system containing the playback rig as much as the plant, with a transducer and filter network at each end.

I was thinking a couple of preamps and a handful of cartridges would produce a decent set of data that could be collected fairly quickly in near real-time.

--- End quote ---

According to manual, the default FFT size 64K, is good for about 440ms.  If you increased FFT to the max 512K, that should be good to about 3.5 sec.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version