ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room combine without spending tons of cash  (Read 2138 times)

David Elsbury

• Computer says no...
Room combine without spending tons of cash
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:53:24 AM »

Hi all,
I have a conference space that can be either split (two rooms) or combined. Each room will have 2 inputs (can be hard-patched into one per room if needed) and will have 2 pairs of speakers depending on orientation.

When combined, the system will use all 4 pairs (2 for front, and 2 for delays)

Therefore I need a DSP with 2(4?) in and 8 output.
I was going to use an old Allen and Heath DR66 which would have been fine as it's 2/6 (can fudge the last 2 outputs using relays and logic outputs) but there has been concern expressed around it's lifespan as it's already an old and unsupported product.

I did look at a DBX Driverack 4800 however if you have one room already running, and need to recall a preset that changes the active pair for the second room it will mute the audio for a few seconds while recalling - that is, it's "destructive".

So I was then looking at a Symetrix Jupiter 8x8 - and then was told by the dealer that this wasn't the right product because it's not a "room combiner" - I needed to look at a Radius 12x8. At a whole lot more money.

So what else can I look at? I need a button panel or logic inputs to recall presets (no airwall sensors or Crestron etc control here) and would prefer not to spend tons of cash.

Thanks! :)

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Room combine without spending tons of cash
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:37:41 AM »

First off, forget live DSPs. That's not what they are designed or supported for.

My first impulse would have been to suggest the Rane Halogen series, but when DJ seller inMusic bought Rane they made the Halogen line impossible to get and support. Pisses me off that they are killing such an affordable and useful line.

From there you have to step up to something like BiAmp's Tesira line. Much like the Rane gear you don't have to be a dealer or pay for special training to be allowed to design a system with it. The programming is mostly drag-n-drop like Rane but it can get as complicated as you need it to be. No, it's not cheap, but nothing designed for 24/7/365 use is, and the Tesira line is very well supported.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »

Dbx Zonepro:
1260/1261 series is 12x6.
640/641 series is 6x4.  This would work if you are willing to go mono.
Under $900 / $600 respectively (MAP).  3 yrs ago the MAP in the 1261M was $1500.
Wall controllers are in the $50-$60 range.  You might get away with single ZC-8 (4-position source selector + volume) per room, but might need a ZC-9 (8-postion source) and a ZC-1 volume (knob) or ZC-6 (buttons) per room.  There are other options, these just seem the most obvious, without knowing more.

There are a lot of video tutorials on the DBX site to help with set-up and functionality.

Keith Anderson

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »

Hi all,
I have a conference space that can be either split (two rooms) or combined. Each room will have 2 inputs (can be hard-patched into one per room if needed) and will have 2 pairs of speakers depending on orientation.

When combined, the system will use all 4 pairs (2 for front, and 2 for delays)

Therefore I need a DSP with 2(4?) in and 8 output.
I was going to use an old Allen and Heath DR66 which would have been fine as it's 2/6 (can fudge the last 2 outputs using relays and logic outputs) but there has been concern expressed around it's lifespan as it's already an old and unsupported product.

I did look at a DBX Driverack 4800 however if you have one room already running, and need to recall a preset that changes the active pair for the second room it will mute the audio for a few seconds while recalling - that is, it's "destructive".

So I was then looking at a Symetrix Jupiter 8x8 - and then was told by the dealer that this wasn't the right product because it's not a "room combiner" - I needed to look at a Radius 12x8. At a whole lot more money.

So what else can I look at? I need a button panel or logic inputs to recall presets (no airwall sensors or Crestron etc control here) and would prefer not to spend tons of cash.

The Symetrix Zone Mix 761 is right up the alley.  It has a fixed GUI like the Jupiter series does as it uses the same OS platform.  Their controller are very easy to program, the stuff sounds great and it is a reliable product, and their tech support is the best in the DSP industry.  I think you can get the Zone Mix from the big box retailers.

I've been a Symetrix dealer and installer since their DSP lines first hit the streets many moons ago.  They have never let me down.  I did use 16) Radius 12x8 and 12) Xin12's to redo a major league city's convention center, so the stuff works very well for the application on both small and large scale.

Thanks! :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.