ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps  (Read 22420 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »

. . . a motorized wheel chair hooking a 10 gauge cable running across a grassy meadow and dragging it until the slack was out and his wheels spun.
. . .

Yup, this is exactly what prompted this quest. . .lady dragging my FOH power and ethernet cables with her rascal. Never mind that I had a runner over it and cones set up every 5 feet.

When I asked her to move off the cables she started complaining about what a hazard it was to have it there.

You can email me an inventory, if you shut down, Dick.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 04:25:46 PM »

. . . the aforementioned death smell - all 16 were in great shape.  No gorilla glue necessary.  My only complaint is the metal rod that runs through them as a flap hinge will slide out while handling . . .

Scrub them down with Purple Power for the smell. Put a dab of silicon the the holes to seal the wire in. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2017, 10:09:51 AM »

I don’t know if I missed it but I don’t remember anyone mentioning that these cable ramps aren’t ADA compliant. We have been very lucky in that we do a series of outdoor shows and we lay the cables in the grass and the grass is thick enough that the cables sink in enough. We do have to cross one main walking path and we have Bumble Bee cable ramps. They aren’t as heavy duty as the Yellow Jacket model but they are still heavy duty. But when someone comes to cross them in a wheel chair they have to go around the ramps and over the cables in the grass because ours aren’t ADA compliant either. I think at one time they had an ADA version but they don’t seem to be available anymore.

For the longest time we never had anyone trip and fall when using these but a couple of years ago we started having more tripping happening at night, usually after the show. I think it is a combination of this park has some lights out that used to make this path better lit and I think there has been more alcohol use at these events. I picked up some LED strip lights that I string thru the outer channels of the ramps so it lights up the yellow part of the ramp. This has helped a lot. It is a pain and it takes a little bit of time to properly rig the lights but as soon as it starts to get dark we plug them in to help with the visibility. This has helped a lot. This still doesn’t answer the ADA problem.

I think one thing that helps us with the cables in the grass is that the cables are heavy enough without being too heavy or thick. And they maintain the grass so we have a nice bed for the cables. We usually use a 20 pair and a 12 pair input snakes. A 16 pair return snake and a 12 gauge power cable and a single power cable to the LEDs in the ramps from the stage. So with all of those (4 cables) run very neatly next to each other it is almost a cable ramp in and of itself. The power to the LEDs in the ramps are the last thing to get removed at the end of the night. 

The Yellow jacket version that has the ADA ramp section and I keep bugging the boss to buy some of these. They are cheaper than getting sued.

Dave Bednarski

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »

Does the entire stretch need to complaint or just a crossing option?  http://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/ada.jpg

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Does the entire stretch need to complaint or just a crossing option?  http://dbmisc.s3.amazonaws.com/ada.jpg

ADA says access to all public areas for wheelchairs, etc. . .

I'm fairly certain that one pathway into a given area would be plenty to meet the "reasonable accommodation" test. ADA is mostly about being inclusive for folks with problems, if they can get to their seating area and go to the bathroom, most will be happy.

https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.