ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps  (Read 22302 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: Cheap Chinese Cable Ramps
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2017, 03:05:03 AM »

http://www.discountramps.com/cable-ramps-protectors/c/4250/?CID=PSC-TXT-Nonbrand-Google-P-Cable+Ramps+Protectors+New-cable+ramps&st-t=Google-Cable+Ramps&vt-k=cable%20ramps&vt-mt=p&gclid=CLqb4sW-19UCFcOPswodrD8Nvw

Give my home town a look.

I bought the 3 channel Guardian ones from them.  4? 5? years later they are still outgassing in the back yard. Not anywhere as bad as the first couple years but still noticeable.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »

I just came across this which is super inexpensive compared to most everything I have seen.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719L4D94/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am sure it won't compare in quality to most but for light traffic it might just work. 3 in a  pack !

These look identical to the 4 pieces I just bought off eBay for $24 each. The stuff from discount ramps does, as well. Mine are made from rubber (and bad karma, apparently).

I have three on my front porch in the desert sun for a couple weeks now, and they still stink. The 4th section I scrubbed down with Purple Power degreaser (5/gallon at wally world) and got the mold release greasy layer off it. I can only smell that one if I put my nose right in the channel. . .

Going to give it a shot on the others this week.

These have all handled the sun well for 12+ hours a day in 100º heat.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »

Mine arrived today. First impression -  heavy duty and solid.
However, as with the majority of my most recent purchases online it seems on closer inspection, there are defects.
One piece has a 2 inch split through right through the rubber on the outer edge which someone has attempted to glue back together. I figured if it is supposed to take the weight of a vehicle at least momentarily, I should test the glued piece. It pulled apart in my fingers - oops.
The second piece has a tear right by the hinge so over time I can see this piece tearing off completely.
Pack of 3 and 2 of them defective... gheeesh.
Called Amazon and they are contacting the seller ... A-Z claim.

There is another set on Amazon at $79.99 but from the looks of things, it is the same stuff - just showing  different vendor.

Sometimes vendors will offer a discount to save shipping back and replacement but I don't want to risk these things ripping any further.
Is there a reliable glue I can use to make the repair IF the vendor offers a discount? :-\
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »

I hate to say it.......

but "Buy Once, Cry Once."

Just like everything else in our industry.... if you go cheap, well, you get what you pay for. :(

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »

I hate to say it.......

but "Buy Once, Cry Once."

Just like everything else in our industry.... if you go cheap, well, you get what you pay for. :(

-Ray

True Ray for the most part - but I wouldn't have paid much more than this anyway because I will get so very little use out of these. If I used them more often, then yes it would be worth paying more perhaps. I just wanted a few to keep in my trailer just in case...
Although 2 of them have rips in them, they must have had some abuse to get that way because they really appear to be heavy duty.
If I can get the 2 replaced, I will still be very happy at this price.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ed Jones

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »

I have both high quality and Chinese cable ramps. Both serve the purpose for which they are intended for. More people are apt to trip on the ramps verses a cable on the ground but as long as the proper safety device was used your liability insurer will be much happier

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

More people are apt to trip on the ramps verses a cable on the ground . . .

That seems to be the absolute truth.  I used my new 2 channel "Chinese cheapies" and my 5 channel "pro models" this last weekend.  It didn't matter, people tripped on both.  I have seen the units with LED flashing warning lights used, and though it seemed fewer people tripped, many still tripped.  Now if there is even a small gap in your ramps, people will carefully avoid the ramps and step on the cables instead !

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 01:40:31 PM »

That seems to be the absolute truth.  I used my new 2 channel "Chinese cheapies" and my 5 channel "pro models" this last weekend.  It didn't matter, people tripped on both.  I have seen the units with LED flashing warning lights used, and though it seemed fewer people tripped, many still tripped.  Now if there is even a small gap in your ramps, people will carefully avoid the ramps and step on the cables instead !

I've told this story before but it's worth a repeat.

A couple decades back we were doing a smaller arena show, lady trips and twists her ankle when she stepped on cables (taped down, etc).  We knew nothing about it and she declined treatment at the event.  A couple of weeks later the promoter's insurance company is calling us for a copy of the "incident report."  There wasn't one  because our crew had not been informed and did not witness the incident.  The lady's family convinced her to take off from work and have her ankle examined; she submitted a claim for the cost of her doctor's office call and the 3 hours she was off work, probably <$200 back then.

Fast forward a couple of years and we're doing a church conference in the same venue, but now the venue policy is that any and all cables in public areas MUST be in Yellow Jacket ramps and the venue had roughly 400 feet of them.  As I discussed this with a venue rep, we counted a dozen or so older guests tripping over the Yellow Jackets.  I asked if they had to write an incident report for each trip...

The reality is that taking no action is seen as either ignorant or willful negligence; that the cure is not better than the disease is ignored by the legal system but helps to pass the "reasonable person" test - you did something that gave the *appearance* of greater safety than doing nothing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »

The reality is that taking no action is seen as either ignorant or willful negligence; that the cure is not better than the disease is ignored by the legal system but helps to pass the "reasonable person" test - you did something that gave the *appearance* of greater safety than doing nothing.

We did a small outdoor festival a few weeks ago and set out our red/black Whirlwind 5-channel ramps to protect some SOOW cords and DMX lines... More (mostly drunk) people commented about "the annoying/stupid/f-ing bump things" than I ever would've imagined. No one tripped over anything (thankfully), but man... you're right - it's darned if you do, darned if you don't. Especially when you factor in the cost of the ramps (if people only knew).

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »

Next we'll need a fall-mat on each side of the cable ramps to protect those who trip over the ramps. Where does it end?
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.