ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ABS/Roto-molded trunk supplier  (Read 4080 times)

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
ABS/Roto-molded trunk supplier
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »

Once upon a time there was a company that made plastic trunks that I believe was based here in the US.  I had a bookmark for their website, but it's long gone by now.  Trying to see if they still exist.

Things I'm sure of:
  • They were plastic trunks - 45x24x24 (ish) in dimensions.  May have been a couple other sizes available
  • They used real case hardware (dishes, latches, handles & casters).

Things I think I remember correctly, but can't be sure of:
  • They were made in NY, FL or CA
  • They had a few sizes available
  • You could buy the "shell" and supply your own hardware
  • You could buy them "flat packed" and assemble yourself

It's not any of the usual suspects that make ABS or Roto-molded cases (SKB, Pelican, Zero, Hardigg, etc).  This was some random company that I don't even think exactly marketed towards our industry, they were more geared towards the shipping industry.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Am I losing my marbles? 

Spenser Hamilton

Re: ABS/Roto-molded trunk supplier
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Once upon a time there was a company that made plastic trunks that I believe was based here in the US.  I had a bookmark for their website, but it's long gone by now.  Trying to see if they still exist.

Things I'm sure of:
  • They were plastic trunks - 45x24x24 (ish) in dimensions.  May have been a couple other sizes available
  • They used real case hardware (dishes, latches, handles & casters).

Things I think I remember correctly, but can't be sure of:
  • They were made in NY, FL or CA
  • They had a few sizes available
  • You could buy the "shell" and supply your own hardware
  • You could buy them "flat packed" and assemble yourself

It's not any of the usual suspects that make ABS or Roto-molded cases (SKB, Pelican, Zero, Hardigg, etc).  This was some random company that I don't even think exactly marketed towards our industry, they were more geared towards the shipping industry.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?  Am I losing my marbles?

This is a shot in the dark: https://shopmtn.com/collections/mtn-box/products/mtn-box
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Brian Bolly

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »

This is a shot in the dark: https://shopmtn.com/collections/mtn-box/products/mtn-box

Nope, but thanks. This was several years ago, before Mountain started making theirs.  The ones I'm looking for did/do look similar, but were shorter in height.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

Nope, but thanks. This was several years ago, before Mountain started making theirs.  The ones I'm looking for did/do look similar, but were shorter in height.

Eighth Day has some cases like that...might be worth a call.
I know the ones you mean, just can't remember who made them.

Neil White

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:51 AM »

Here's a previous thread with some links that still work: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=137061.0

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:46:57 AM »

A "g" word search for "roto molded case manufacturer" returned 106k hits.

Instinct says you could probably call the top 10 domestic manufacturers and give exterior/interior size and weight capacity and get quotes that day.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bolly

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »

Here's a previous thread with some links that still work: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=137061.0

YES!  THESE!   http://www.samcases.co.uk/spectratrunk/

One of the other posts in that thread said that this company made them (in Toronto...so, not far from NY?), but nothing on their site.  I shot them an email to see if they still made cases at all.

If anyone knows of any US manufacturers/distribution, please post here.

And thanks, Tim.  I did try that search in many different versions yesterday and never came up with what I was looking for - image search was even worse.  I figured the hive mind here may have something, and they delivered!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »

YES!  THESE!   http://www.samcases.co.uk/spectratrunk/

One of the other posts in that thread said that this company made them (in Toronto...so, not far from NY?), but nothing on their site.  I shot them an email to see if they still made cases at all.

If anyone knows of any US manufacturers/distribution, please post here.

And thanks, Tim.  I did try that search in many different versions yesterday and never came up with what I was looking for - image search was even worse.  I figured the hive mind here may have something, and they delivered!

Back in the good old days, if you knew the size, shape, capacity, etc of a product there was a good chance Manufacturer A would know who made it, were it not their product.  With the globalization of things that's probably not something to assume any more...

I didn't spend a lot of time on it but was surprised by the variety of relatively small size variations available.  Finding exactly what you're looking for can become a 'needle in a haystack' search, for sure.

Glad you found what you needed!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »

In addition to trying your GoogleFoo, did you happen to also check for a BingDing?  Several people have made the comment that sometimes B is better, especially for images. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »

I vaguely recall RAT selling these (or something really similar) some time ago as well. Might be worth a call.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:09:12 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.