ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Software Alternatives  (Read 7282 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
DMX Software Alternatives
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »

I've been using DMXIS for a little while.  Lately it seems I've been pushing it to it's limits to the point where I'm thinking a more 'pro' solution would make my life easier when setting up visuals.  I've taken a look at D-Pro.  It looks interesting, but I'm not sure it will offer me more than what Freestyler can offer.

I'm looking for recommendations on DMX software that will run on a Win 10 laptop.  Control will be done with a midi foot controller by band members on stage.  The controller will bring up different scenes- at least that's how I'm using it now with DMXIS.  I won't be running Ableton Live or anything like that.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: DMX Software Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 04:02:11 PM »

I've been using DMXIS for a little while.  Lately it seems I've been pushing it to it's limits to the point where I'm thinking a more 'pro' solution would make my life easier when setting up visuals.  I've taken a look at D-Pro.  It looks interesting, but I'm not sure it will offer me more than what Freestyler can offer.

I'm looking for recommendations on DMX software that will run on a Win 10 laptop.  Control will be done with a midi foot controller by band members on stage.  The controller will bring up different scenes- at least that's how I'm using it now with DMXIS.  I won't be running Ableton Live or anything like that.
There are a couple recent threads covering similar ground that you can read for more background, but Martin M-PC will do what you want with the added MPC-Tools package.  There is a learning curve, so don't expect to be show-ready after an hour of setup.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »

There are a couple recent threads covering similar ground that you can read for more background, but Martin M-PC will do what you want with the added MPC-Tools package.  There is a learning curve, so don't expect to be show-ready after an hour of setup.

Thanks!  I'll look at M-PC and MPC-Tools.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »

Thanks!  I'll look at M-PC and MPC-Tools.

That's the direction I'd go too.  MagicQ PC is one of the other bigger programs on the market, but since you need MIDI out of the box you'll be sinking at least 1k into this solution just to get running.  Both programs are free to demo though, so give it a try and see what you think!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »

Rich, +1 for MP-C.  We have been using it the last 3 years and it works great.  Just so you know, it does have a learning curve that is a bit on the steep side.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
DMX Software Alternatives
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »

I just jumped on the MPC bandwagon myself coming from Dpro. I did not hit the wall with Dpro and probably wouldn't have for a while, but I found it slightly unreliable. If I were you I'd jump right into a pro console software to eliminate the possibility of having to learn one thing and then something else.

Btw, my biggest gripe w Dpro is the minuscule user community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 03:47:49 AM »

QLC+ has also come a long way to become quite usable, especialy in a theater setting. Personaly I think it's a nice blend of powerfull and easy to learn.

Graham Spice

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »

MPC is the way I went, also. I still wonder if I should have gone with MA onPC because it so much more popular with professionals. But...the M-PC software and M-Touch appeared to be the least expensive path for me to a pro-level DMX software solution. I see a bunch of people online using MA onPC with Akai controllers so that must be a fairly inexpensive direction to head in, as well.

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 09:14:28 PM »

I ran Blue Lite for a while which was also alright but slow for fixes/upgrades. I finally went with Magic Q and it is definitely a nice piece of software. I demo'ed a lot of them before picking it, and although they aren't the biggest name, they are a serious contender. Lots of capability, and if you finally outgrow the software, you can move into hardware and the shows transfer over. Expensive compared to DMXIS or similar, but after the original pain you can stay with it for a LONG time....

Jon-Paul LeClair

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Chamsys MagicQ user here for several years. I have dabbled with Martin MPC but end up going back to Chamsys. Just seems like a better workflow IMHO.

veditor78

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »

I use M-PC myself coming from Elation's Emulation software. It was a big learning curve but Zyper's tutorial videos were a huge help. Martin also just updated all of their training videos.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:20:32 PM by Josh Rawls »
Josh Rawls

Josh Daws

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »

certainly as others have said...MPC is great...quite easy to use, and isn't just geared for busking, nor just for theatre. Martin just released a bunch of NEW (FINALLY) tutorial videos, and its a good way to get started.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.