ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pa mains for sound quality first  (Read 15302 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Pa mains for sound quality first
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 07:57:29 AM »

Thank you for the response. I've been running the 835's at the "line" setting on input sensitivity.

I don't know how to improve the input sensitivity on the SRX, or increase its input gain, other than, setting it to "consumer", which I'm certainly willing to do.

I guess I could do that, picking up about 12db of input sensitivity, and then rollback the input level-5 or 6. Is it really that simple or is there a better way?
It is really that simple.

Steve Garris

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 03:32:06 PM »

It is really that simple.

Keep in mind that the SRX powered subs are line input only. There is no consumer setting on the subs.

Steve Garris

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »

I want to get more from the 835's in terms of output still. Running the exact same test songs, at the exact same levels on the mixer, when a/b'ing the two the DXR was consistently 6-7 db higher output than the SRX. Admittedly I was just using an iPad app, but nonetheless that's certainly a perceivable difference. Those were taken about 20 feet from the speakers, listening level was around 90db from the Yamaha, same signal source and output settings was giving me 82/83 on the 835's. I can push them harder, but when I start to reach the limits of the board, as well as the driverack, the input meter on the back of the 835 was showing to peak about 1/2 way of it's scale.

So, for those that highly suggested using the audio architect to adjust the the 835's I'm open to hear how exactly to make those adjustments. The mixer, driverack inputs and output are all scaling evenly and approach clipping points evenly, so I don't think there's anything else to gain there. (No pun intended). I don't know how to improve the input sensitivity on the SRX, or increase its input gain, other than, setting it to "consumer", which I'm certainly willing to do.

I guess I could do that, picking up about 12db of input sensitivity, and then rollback the input level-5 or 6. Is it really that simple or is there a better way?

You can also access the DSP via the JBL Connect app. Some have gone into the compressor settings and increased the make-up gain in order to get more out of the speakers. There were many threads on this and the Lab forums, because JBL used a low input sensitivity setting for these boxes. When I A/B'd them to my PRX I got the same result, and wondered why they were so much quieter. Because I have the matching sub's, the consumer input setting is not an option for me, as I would still have to reduce the volume on the top boxes so that they are matched with my subs. In the end I found a good balance, with the sub's turned up all the way and the tops reduced a bit, running line level input. I run my board super hot and get the most out of the system, which sounds great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.