ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pa mains for sound quality first  (Read 15503 times)

Scott Gentry

Pa mains for sound quality first
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:40:16 AM »

Deciding to upgrade current mains Yamaha DXR 12's with something a bit "next level." I do like the Yamaha sound quality compared to most others in their price point. Other brands seemed a bit brash and somewhat in your face compared to the dxr which I found was more rounded with better depth and clarity and more enjoyable to listen too without being harsh, unless pushed towards its limits. So, I'm looking for an upgrade, budget of about 5k street price, with a primary focus on sound quality, I'm sure there's better, and hopefully additional output as well. System is used about 70% pre recorded music, 30% sound system for jamming with friends, mostly 80's metal. I might be dilusioned to think there's a studio quality main that also has the ability to maintain it's sonic quality and have high output in my budget, but I'm open to suggestions none the less.

Scott Gaines

Re: Pa mains for sound quality first
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »

The JBL SRX815p is my next upgrade. I heard the SRX835p and I was knocked out.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Jain John

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:58:09 AM »

+1 for Jbl Srx 812/815/835P Speakers. Also give a listen to Qsc K12.2 speakers.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »

Deciding to upgrade current mains Yamaha DXR 12's with something a bit "next level." I do like the Yamaha sound quality compared to most others in their price point. Other brands seemed a bit brash and somewhat in your face compared to the dxr which I found was more rounded with better depth and clarity and more enjoyable to listen too without being harsh, unless pushed towards its limits. So, I'm looking for an upgrade, budget of about 5k street price, with a primary focus on sound quality, I'm sure there's better, and hopefully additional output as well. System is used about 70% pre recorded music, 30% sound system for jamming with friends, mostly 80's metal. I might be dilusioned to think there's a studio quality main that also has the ability to maintain it's sonic quality and have high output in my budget, but I'm open to suggestions none the less.

Have you looked at the Yorkville U15P? Sometimes it takes a little eq to get to where you want to be, but is an excellent sounding speaker. The most surprised I have been by the quality of sound was at the market in Savannah, there was a band using KV2 speakers and holy crap some of the best quality sound I have heard from a speaker mounted on a stand.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »

I've heard great things about the new RCF 745a mk4 but haven't heard one personally. There is a wooden cabinet version coming out in a few months called the NX45a which I'm very keen to hear myself!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »

Pure sound quality? No other constraints (aside from 5k budget). Here's my take.

MI:
JBL SRX835p
Martin CDD12 LIVE

Professional:
JTR Noesis 3TX
Danley SH50
Peter's DIY 60 (I think)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »

Pure sound quality? No other constraints (aside from 5k budget). Here's my take.

MI:
JBL SRX835p
Martin CDD12 LIVE

Professional:
JTR Noesis 3TX
Danley SH50
Peter's DIY 60 (I think)
Scott, 3 out of the 5 replies here recommend the JBL series which you have returned because you didn't like them.  This illustrates the subjective nature of audio.  Between your several threads you have received recommendations for most of the speakers on the market.  At this point you're going to have to listen to them yourself to go any farther, and any choice will probably need some EQ to make them to your taste.

FWIW, I'm not sure that "studio monitor" always equates to "pleasant to listen to".  Meyer speakers are extremely expensive and are sought after because they are predictable and the comezouta equals the goezinta.  They will not necessarily blow you away when you listen to them because they may lack some colorization that many people find desirable. 

You may find it worth your time to buy a plane ticket to a dealer that can setup several choices you are interested in to listen to together.  It may also be possible to rent a couple of these systems to try in your room to see what you think in exactly the situation you're using them in.  Both of these cost money, but listening before purchasing is the only way to know what you like, as opposed to what I like or someone else likes.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »

I would add that processing is everything. I have an EV QRX Rig that for years I used a Driverack 260 for processing with EV's recommended settings. My dealer talked me into trying a EV DX46 processor and I could not believe the difference. I now have two of the DX46's and would never go back. I can not count the compliments I get on the system.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

MI:
JBL SRX835p
Martin CDD12 LIVE

Professional:
JTR Noesis 3TX
Danley SH50
Peter's DIY 60 (I think)

I would not split the JBL or the Martin into an MI category.  Both are professional products. 
That said, as has been recommended by others, you need to listen to the speakers to see if they fulfill your needs and expectations.  The speakers that I find the best for a given application may not suit you and/or your application.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »

I would not split the JBL or the Martin into an MI category.  Both are professional products. 

Lee

I didn't really know how else to split it. Yes they're professional products, but don't most around here consider the SRX/CDD lines MI level (top teir of course)? Same as UPA-1/2p or others in the same vein. They're the silver right next to the gold...?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.