ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: is there a way to clean or filter battery power?  (Read 7457 times)

Ryan Rosenberg

Question: is there a way to clean or filter battery power?
« on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:56 AM »

Hi all!  I am powering some QSC K10s with an all-in-one battery+inverter and I'm getting some buzzing from the K10s.  The battery+inverter has two AC outlets and also a DC outlet.  I realize the issue is the shape of the power sine wave.  It seem the K10s don't do a great job filtering.  Is there something I can put between the battery and the K10s that will filter the power to eliminate the buzzing?

Here are more details:

A friend and I just got a gig playing a local farmer's markets.  We are guitar, bass and vocals.  I have a small PreSonus mixer and a couple of QSC K10s so we are good to go for sound reinforcement.

Many of the markets do not have power but fortunately I have a Xantrex xPower 1500 which is an in one battery + Inverter on wheels.  I bought it as emergency backup for around the house.  I tried it with our equipment and it looks like we can go quite a while; maybe 5+ hours on one charge.  Only issue is the buzzing.  Is there something I can put between the battery and the speakers to clean that up?  Something I can either plug into the battery's AC outlets or its DC outlet?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:43:39 AM by Ryan Rosenberg »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Question: is there a way to clean or filter battery power?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:33:55 AM »

Hi all!  I am powering some QSC K10s with an all-in-one battery+inverter and I'm getting some buzzing from the K10s.  The battery+inverter has two AC outlets and also a DC outlet.  I realize the issue is the shape of the power sine wave.  It seem the K10s don't do a great job filtering.  Is there something I can put between the battery and the K10s that will filter the power to eliminate the buzzing?

Here are more details:

A friend and I just got a gig playing a local farmer's markets.  We are guitar, bass and vocals.  I have a small PreSonus mixer and a couple of QSC K10s so we are good to go for sound reinforcement.

Many of the markets do not have power but fortunately I have a Xantrex xPower 1500 which is an in one battery + Inverter on wheels.  I bought it as emergency backup for around the house.  I tried it with our equipment and it looks like we can go quite a while; maybe 5+ hours on one charge.  Only issue is the buzzing.  Is there something I can put between the battery and the speakers to clean that up?  Something I can either plug into the battery's AC outlets or its DC outlet?
I know it is not what you want to hear-but get a better quality SINE WAVE inverter.

The cheaper ones do not produce a sine wave-and that is likely your trouble.

A "non sine wave" is fine for many applications, but usually not for audio ones.

Trying to fix the problem after it occurs is often a waste.

Fix it at the source is always the best solution.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »

I know it is not what you want to hear-but get a better quality SINE WAVE inverter.

A "non sine wave" is fine for many applications, but usually not for audio ones.

Saw that one coming.....Have used these for remote microwave POPS with good luck

http://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-806-1800-PROsine-1800-p/806-1800.htm

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:56:58 AM »

The battery isn't the problem.  As Ivan has stated it's the inverter producing a very noisy "simulated" AC sine wave.  Some inverters are worse than others, but as stated, an inverter  that produces a "pure" sine wave will solve the problem.

Some very "high end" esoteric home audio gear runs off four high voltage batteries to get pure DC (stereo + and -) for the quietest signal possible.  The job of the power supplies of almost all amplifiers is to change AC (from the wall into DC voltage) for the amp circuits to use.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »

The battery isn't the problem. 
Agreed.  From a noise perspective, there's nothing cleaner than a battery.  What you do after that on the other hand...

Ryan Rosenberg

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »

Ivan,

Actually I don't mind hearing that I need to get a better inverter.  It is possible -- the battery does have both a DC outlet and even two poles.

But can you recommend a cost-effective inverter?  The one Scott mentions is from Xantrex -- which is the same company I bought the batter from -- but at $1000 it is expensive.  And it includes a power supply as well.  Do you know of anything that might work but costs (considerably) less, and is just an inverter?  Or do I need to spend in that range to get something clean.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »

Cost effective?

We played as a banjo/fiddle duo with vocals for years in the summer months with NO AMPLIFICATION to crowds of several hundred.

Man up (person up) and learn how to project.  It's been done before.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »

Cost effective?

We played as a banjo/fiddle duo with vocals for years in the summer months with NO AMPLIFICATION to crowds of several hundred.

Man up (person up) and learn how to project.  It's been done before.

Banjo AND fiddle?  The Devil's Duo...

Yeah, Dick, I was wondering why this isn't an acoustic performance.  Now somebody out there will wonder why as soundpeople, we would advocate no electronic amplification... and that's gonna be our little secret.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:07:13 PM »

If you want to let electricity do the work for you, be prepared to pay the cost:

https://humless.com/go-series/mini/
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »

Ivan,

Actually I don't mind hearing that I need to get a better inverter.  It is possible -- the battery does have both a DC outlet and even two poles.

But can you recommend a cost-effective inverter?  The one Scott mentions is from Xantrex -- which is the same company I bought the batter from -- but at $1000 it is expensive.  And it includes a power supply as well.  Do you know of anything that might work but costs (considerably) less, and is just an inverter?  Or do I need to spend in that range to get something clean.

Not sure what you mean by a "power supply", the model I referenced does not have a rectifier for the mains if that's what you mean. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.