ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested Distro and plugs  (Read 15446 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Suggested Distro and plugs
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »

At the risk of a topic swerve, I will probably be buying a CS 50A construction "spider box" as a distro. I'm thinking about if I should get the L5-20R option instead of the duplex 5-20R. Both versions have GFCI for outdoor use. The locking version seems to offer more security from inadvertent disconnections, with the bonus that folks won't be able to "borrow" some power without my knowledge and permission. Yes, I'll need dedicated cables, but I can use 10-3 SO and have less voltage drop over long runs.

Am I missing anything with my reasoning?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »

You can buy 6" l5-20 to 5-15 breakouts to make things easy. You can also get one with an L14-30 to drive an amp rack, if you need it.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »

At the risk of a topic swerve, I will probably be buying a CS 50A construction "spider box" as a distro. I'm thinking about if I should get the L5-20R option instead of the duplex 5-20R. Both versions have GFCI for outdoor use. The locking version seems to offer more security from inadvertent disconnections, with the bonus that folks won't be able to "borrow" some power without my knowledge and permission. Yes, I'll need dedicated cables, but I can use 10-3 SO and have less voltage drop over long runs.

That's about the size of it.  If it were up to me, I'd stick with the standard non-locking and keep the spider box out of public access, but either way is fine.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 12:01:02 AM »

The CEP brand box I'm looking at also has an L6-30R. Understanding that modifications to the box means I lose the UL listing, it would be nice to swap that to an L14-30R. I know I would need to add an appropriate neutral to that circuit; I don't know if I would have to change the 30A OCPD as well.

L5-20 to 5-20 (or 5-15) pigtails are no problem, nor would L5-20 to powerCon.  A locking connector (up to a quad box) sure seems attractive, but I suppose that it really is overkill.

Thank you for your thoughts, gents.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

The CEP brand box I'm looking at also has an L6-30R. Understanding that modifications to the box means I lose the UL listing, it would be nice to swap that to an L14-30R. I know I would need to add an appropriate neutral to that circuit; I don't know if I would have to change the 30A OCPD as well.
No, you would not. The breaker is still 2-pole at 30A; one pole to each leg of the incoming service. All you're doing is adding a neutral line and changing the output connector.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Cailen Waddell

Suggested Distro and plugs
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »

No, you would not. The breaker is still 2-pole at 30A; one pole to each leg of the incoming service. All you're doing is adding a neutral line and changing the output connector.

-Ray

Which I might add, I have done to CEP boxes before.  (The changeout to L14-30) It's pretty easy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 12:20:03 AM »

-Ray

Thanks, Ray. I figured that was probably the case, but not remembering or knowing the spider box to that level of detail, I hedged my bets.

Cailen, thanks too. I'm glad to hear it is an easy change-over.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »

Whirlwind (and probably MotionLabs) can do 32A Powercons for output devices (not sure if 4 fit in 3U or not) and if you're sure you'll never need 120v that's fine.

Output devices?  Maybe somebody else is making them, but last time I checked, Neutrik only offered the 32A PowerCon as a power inlet pair (i.e. the input to a device, not the output of a distro).

It's too bad they didn't more fully develop that product.  If they had put more pins in there (it's based on the 8-pin Speakon), it could be used for multiple-phase loads as well.

GTD

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:38 AM »

Output devices?  Maybe somebody else is making them, but last time I checked, Neutrik only offered the 32A PowerCon as a power inlet pair (i.e. the input to a device, not the output of a distro).

It's too bad they didn't more fully develop that product.  If they had put more pins in there (it's based on the 8-pin Speakon), it could be used for multiple-phase loads as well.

GTD
Geoff, you are correct.  Neutrik only makes 32A Powercon as device connectors.  Whirlwind/others make distro equipment with the 20A version but not the 32A version.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »

Which I might add, I have done to CEP boxes before.  (The changeout to L14-30) It's pretty easy....

I did this exact transplant, too. As I recall the only fabrication required is to enlarge the hole in the hinged plastic cover to accommodate the larger diameter of the L-14-30R. It's soft plastic and easily done with as little as a half round file. If you do a nice job no one will be able to tell that it's not original.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.