ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested Distro and plugs  (Read 15450 times)

Ben Mehlman

Re: Suggested Distro and plugs
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 02:17:36 AM »

That's not exactly correct. In a split-phase system the two legs are 180 degrees out of phase, and currents ending up on the neutral are 100% subtractive. In a 3-phase power system each of the legs are 120 degree offset, so the neutral currents aren't 100% subtractive. But you'll still never get more current on the neutral than any single leg.   

What you're probably referring to are triplen currents, which are the result of odd-harmonic currents from switching power supplies and Triac light dimmers. And you can't balance the loads to reduce triplen currents. In that case you can easily create more current on the neutral than any single leg, which can burn up neutrals and their connectors. And that's why double and oversize neutrals are often used in 3-phase systems.

Hi Mike yes, but what I was also referring to is the scenario   where you have a three phase distro and a single (bi) phase source to tie into. 

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »

Hi Mike yes, but what I was also referring to is the scenario   where you have a three phase distro and a single (bi) phase source to tie into.

Yes, in that case all the neutral currents will be additive, so it's possible to have the wiring and connectors carry 300% of their rated load. I don't have to tell you how dangerous that is. 

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »

Neutral currents from the same phase will add.  Assuming that one uses a little common sense and uses at least one opposing phase then you shouldn't see more than 200% overload (still a problem, I know).

The biggest thing I see, is that if you have a 3 phase distro with plugs (vs cams) then in order to tie into a sihgle phase source grabbing more than one source for say phase "A" where you would have an issue is that you would wind up with multiple male plugs that are in parallel-which is a shock hazard.

The only sensible, safe way to use a 3 phase distro on a single (bi) phase source, IMO, is to simply not use the third phase.  In that case, you don't have any concerns about overloading the neutral and no shcok hazards.  Yes you lose 1/3 your distro capacity.

Does it make sense to do this?  Probably depends on the specific mix of venues you are serving.
Steve Swaffer

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »

Neutral currents from the same phase will add.  Assuming that one uses a little common sense and uses at least one opposing phase then you shouldn't see more than 200% overload (still a problem, I know).

The biggest thing I see, is that if you have a 3 phase distro with plugs (vs cams) then in order to tie into a sihgle phase source grabbing more than one source for say phase "A" where you would have an issue is that you would wind up with multiple male plugs that are in parallel-which is a shock hazard.

I don't know why you would do that - you're not grabbing more than one source for phase A, but rather taking one source and splitting to two destinations.

On a cam-lok-fed distro, normally the third phase is jumpered from the pass-through of one of the other phases.  Hot cams should have covers.

The only sensible, safe way to use a 3 phase distro on a single (bi) phase source, IMO, is to simply not use the third phase.  In that case, you don't have any concerns about overloading the neutral and no shcok hazards.  Yes you lose 1/3 your distro capacity.
Depending on distro design, it's often worse than this, as the missing phase will mean some or possibly all of the multi-phase plugs will be only partially powered.  In a 14-series distro, only 1/3 of the receptacles will be fully powered.  The other 2/3 will only be half-functional.  In a 21-series distro, without the third leg powered, none of the receptacles will be fully functional.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:40:38 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2017, 02:34:28 AM »

I just realized my K series amps has a CPC connector but 3 wire cable. Is an L14-30 still compatible with this?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

I just realized my K series amps has a CPC connector but 3 wire cable. Is an L14-30 still compatible with this?
Yes - you will use the two hots and the ground wire. Omit the neutral.  You need to be using #10 wire.

Ron Ventour

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »

Just received a Linea Research 44m20 yesterday which is the same amp as the Danley DNA 20k4 but the power inlet is different on the LR, mines came with a 32a powercon connector.

What are my options here  plugging into 15/20 amp outlets in my house or connecting to a 50a 14-50 rac pac distro?

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 01:00:16 PM »

Yes - you will use the two hots and the ground wire. Omit the neutral.  You need to be using #10 wire.

Why would you omit the neutral on an L14 connector.
If using a 3 wire 240v, wouldn’t you use an L6 connector?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »

Just received a Linea Research 44m20 yesterday which is the same amp as the Danley DNA 20k4 but the power inlet is different on the LR, mines came with a 32a powercon connector.

What are my options here  plugging into 15/20 amp outlets in my house or connecting to a 50a 14-50 rac pac distro?

Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

Get or make a powercon (32a) to a 5-20 plug (or even a 5-15).

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ron Ventour

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 04:29:49 PM »

Get or make a powercon (32a) to a 5-20 plug (or even a 5-15).

12awg or 14awg wire or it dont matter?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2019, 04:29:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.