Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

3-prong 'dryer' plug

(1/2) > >>

Dave Garoutte:
In a venue walk-thru today, I have a choice of a 240v three prong dryer plug or a couple of Edison 120v circuits. 
I am guessing the 240v supply can't be split into two 120v in my distro, which has a 4-prong plug, since there is no common wire.
I have run this PA off of a 20 amp 120 circuit before with no problems.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on August 04, 2017, 10:01:08 PM ---In a venue walk-thru today, I have a choice of a 240v three prong dryer plug or a couple of Edison 120v circuits. 
I am guessing the 240v supply can't be split into two 120v in my distro, which has a 4-prong plug, since there is no common wire.
I have run this PA off of a 20 amp 120 circuit before with no problems.

--- End quote ---

For sure the 30 Amp plug is missing either a neutral (most likely) or the EGC and you're correct that makes it a no-go.

Jeff Bankston:
3 prong dryer plug = Hot Hot Ground , no neutral.

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Jeff Bankston on August 04, 2017, 11:53:31 PM ---3 prong dryer plug = Hot Hot Ground , no neutral.

--- End quote ---

Or hot-hot-neutral with no ground.

Three-prong dryers were wired internally with a bonding jumper between the neutral and the chassis. This is no longer considered acceptable.

Cailen Waddell:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on August 05, 2017, 02:09:06 AM ---Or hot-hot-neutral with no ground.

Three-prong dryers were wired internally with a bonding jumper between the neutral and the chassis. This is no longer considered acceptable.

--- End quote ---

Fwiw - not always.  I know of at least one old school dryer without the fancy electronics that didn't need a neutral.  Just two hits and a ground.  There was nothing in it that didn't run on 240v....

But yes - the internal bonding is not acceptable. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version