ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP  (Read 1867 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:03 pm »

Am I missing something here? This seems like basic gain staging. Run noise or music through the system. Set the main outs where you want to run them. Set the dsp in the speakers accordingly to get the SPL you desire and balance the system.

I'm asking as I am missing the apparent complexity of the issue.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 03:27:51 pm »

Am I missing something here? This seems like basic gain staging. Run noise or music through the system. Set the main outs where you want to run them. Set the dsp in the speakers accordingly to get the SPL you desire and balance the system.

I'm asking as I am missing the apparent complexity of the issue.

It is simply that JBL made the dubious choice of having the speaker amp gain be less than all their others and the rest of the competition. Therefore when substituting the new for an old, it is quieter with same drive.

This has confused most who bought them expecting more rather than less.

Another reason I don't shop at the Harmon store.  🙄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »

It is simply that JBL made the dubious choice of having the speaker amp gain be less than all their others and the rest of the competition. Therefore when substituting the new for an old, it is quieter with same drive.

There is another advantage to having a lower sensitivity.

It can reduce the system noise, much like putting a pad between a processor and amplifier.

So when you want the most dynamic range in a system, a powered speaker with less gain is a start.

Some call it a disadvantage-others call it advantage.

So-once again-it depends on what somebody is looking for and what is most important for a particular situation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 02:34:43 pm »

This has confused most who bought them expecting more rather than less.

Another reason I don't shop at the Harmon store.  🙄

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I guess I understand the frustration when looking at it from this point of view. Thanks Rob.

I guess I'm used to dealing with mismatched gear and consider it par for the course to set gain structure according to what's in the rig. I wouldn't mess around with wye adapters. I would just change the gain setting to +6 in the DSP and be done with it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 20 queries.