ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP  (Read 20453 times)

Steve Garris

Re: JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:51 PM »

Are you using the proper low filters on each channel strip
that do not need low end ?
 it sounds like that could be where your head room is being maxxed.
Worth visiting

Yes, I'm using the high-pass on most channels. Mind you, I have the headroom I need. The discussion is about Y-ing the inputs to get more gain from the sub. JBL used a rather low input setting on these subs, so you have to drive them a little harder.

Steve Garris

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »

Do the output meters of the mixer reflect this?  Or are the faders physically maxed?

Yes, the meters are hitting the red, and no, the fader is not fully up.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 08:42:57 PM »

You have something else reducing level between the mixer and powered speakers.  I took an old Mackie analog 1604 and I can clip the 828sp before any audible distortion from the mixer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »

Steve, what mixer are you using?

David Allred

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »

Now we are getting somewhere.  The mixer is NOT the problem.

Steve Garris

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »

You have something else reducing level between the mixer and powered speakers.  I took an old Mackie analog 1604 and I can clip the 828sp before any audible distortion from the mixer.

Again, I don't have a problem with my system. I am only trying to find out why posters are saying that using both inputs is not seeing a volume increase on any of these boxes. When I first got my sub's, I measured (using a test tone) and saw a 3 db increase in the volume at 60 Hz by using a Y cable to the inputs. At one time I felt I needed more output from the sub in order to get the volume I wanted, but I have since found a nice balance between the sub and top, without using the Y cable. I ran the system last night with the board meters staying in the green, and it worked flawlessly for a crowd of 1000 (not concert level). The only thing between the board (Mackie DL1608) and the speakers is an xlr cable.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »

Again, I don't have a problem with my system. I am only trying to find out why posters are saying that using both inputs is not seeing a volume increase on any of these boxes. When I first got my sub's, I measured (using a test tone) and saw a 3 db increase in the volume at 60 Hz by using a Y cable to the inputs. At one time I felt I needed more output from the sub in order to get the volume I wanted, but I have since found a nice balance between the sub and top, without using the Y cable. I ran the system last night with the board meters staying in the green, and it worked flawlessly for a crowd of 1000 (not concert level). The only thing between the board (Mackie DL1608) and the speakers is an xlr cable.

Yes, you get a raise in audible level when you double up the inputs to the powered speaker. What you don't get, and what you are being told, is that you do not get a raise in maximum output of the speakers. You have raised the input level to the speaker, but it still has the same maximum output level.

You can accomplish the same thing by increasing the send level to the speakers that same amount at the console output. The console will be able to drive the speakers into clipping at about the same time as the console goes into clipping.

Mac

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »

Whenever I'm not getting enough sub, I bring more subs.  ;)

Steve Garris

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

Yes, you get a raise in audible level when you double up the inputs to the powered speaker. What you don't get, and what you are being told, is that you do not get a raise in maximum output of the speakers. You have raised the input level to the speaker, but it still has the same maximum output level.

You can accomplish the same thing by increasing the send level to the speakers that same amount at the console output. The console will be able to drive the speakers into clipping at about the same time as the console goes into clipping.

Mac

Thanks Mac. That last sentence is making it clear to me what's being said.

David Allred

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »

Whenever I'm not getting enough sub, I bring more subs.  ;)

That would help if the sub is out of output.  His is not.

Steve,  how are the meter segments layed out?  How many yellow and red SEGMENTS?  It there an actual clip indicator for the mixer?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.