ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP  (Read 20231 times)

Steve Garris

Re: JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »

I believe that is called "not enough rig for the gig" ™.  No reason to be clipping any gain stage...

The question was aimed at the Y cord option to get added gain out of the system. Tim's post suggested to simply turn up the main output on the mixer. If there's no room to do so, then why not use a Y cord for an extra 3 db?

I'm not saying I need this, but just trying to get a clear answer.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »

The question was aimed at the Y cord option to get added gain out of the system. Tim's post suggested to simply turn up the main output on the mixer. If there's no room to do so, then why not use a Y cord for an extra 3 db?

I'm not saying I need this, but just trying to get a clear answer.

Hi Steve, what Ivan was saying is that the Y cable increases input sensitivity, not gain.  The max output the speaker is capable of doesn't change. If you get 3 db by using a Y cable, you could also achieve this with a stronger input signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:30:22 PM by BrianHenry »

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

Hi Steve, what Ivan was saying is that the Y cable increases input sensitivity, not gain.  The max output the speaker is capable of doesn't change. If you get 3 db by using a Y cable, you could also achieve this with a stronger input signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still don't understand. Where would you get that stronger input signal?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »

Turn up the source (mixer main out or inputs)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 07:58:01 PM »

Anywhere in the signal chain before the actual amplifier technically classifies as "input signal" and that includes the DSP built into these SRX powered boxes. So the moral of this story about a very beaten dead horse is.. get the app already and crank up some gains until the box behaves like others in your inventory. There is NO danger in doing this.. the limiters will still protect the same as before.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:00:41 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »

Because the input to the sub has sufficiently high impedance, it acts as a bridge rather than a load (so it does not reduce in the voltage); doubling the number of inputs with the same voltage increases the voltage "seen" by the amplifier input.

Or you could turn up the subwoofer drive level at the console or turn down your top boxes by -3dB (or more, to taste) if you loop through the subs (or tops) for inputs and turn up the console output.

This ain't rocket surgery and I'm alternately amused and frustrated that this simple concept has generated so much unnecessary work, much of it based on legacy drive level expectations that are older than many of the participants here.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »

Because the input to the sub has sufficiently high impedance, it acts as a bridge rather than a load (so it does not reduce in the voltage); doubling the number of inputs with the same voltage increases the voltage "seen" by the amplifier input.

Or you could turn up the subwoofer drive level at the console or turn down your top boxes by -3dB (or more, to taste) if you loop through the subs (or tops) for inputs and turn up the console output.

This ain't rocket surgery and I'm alternately amused and frustrated that this simple concept has generated so much unnecessary work, much of it based on legacy drive level expectations that are older than many of the participants here.

I've already stated that there is no headroom left at the mixer. The sub is turned up all the way, and the tops are already set at a reduced level.

The Y cord will get you an added 3 db of volume if you are out of gas everywhere else. I've decided that I don't need it, nor do I need to go into the dsp to add makeup gain via the compressor.

Steve Garris

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »

Turn up the source (mixer main out or inputs)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The source (input gains and master output) is all the way up. There is no headroom left.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »

Are you using the proper low filters on each channel strip
that do not need low end ?
 it sounds like that could be where your head room is being maxxed.
Worth visiting
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

David Allred

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

The source (input gains and master output) is all the way up. There is no headroom left.
Do the output meters of the mixer reflect this?  Or are the faders physically maxed?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.