ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting amps needed based on ohm change  (Read 5480 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Converting amps needed based on ohm change
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

^^^

This from the "I'm not the amplifier guy."  8)

JR, you just illuminated a lightbulb over my head.  Thanks.  I think... :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

^^^

This from the "I'm not the amplifier guy."  8)

JR, you just illuminated a lightbulb over my head.  Thanks.  I think... :D
sorry it's probably too late, class D makes multi-tier class H obsolete....    8)

JR

PS: I am not the "speaker" guy, I can find my way around power amps.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »

Nicely worded, for the understatement of the year......  ;)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »

sorry it's probably too late, class D makes multi-tier class H obsolete....    8)

JR

I'm not getting design ideas, John.  It's the way you sussed out the approximate points where the power supply rails switch that helped me with an unrelated trouble shooting problem.  Kind of  a liberal arts education thing - learning allows interpolation.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »

JR

Are you putting down my amps, like they are obsolete and that I might not should have made a recent purchase of them?   :P :'(
I have had them for many years.   Relatively new product at the time.  Just in the middle of a major reconfig (digital mixer) and seeing if 3 amps on a 15A circuit is doable.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »

Are you putting down my amps, like they are obsolete and that I might not should have made a recent purchase of them?   :P :'(
I have had them for many years.   Relatively new product at the time.  Just in the middle of a major reconfig (digital mixer) and seeing if 3 amps on a 15A circuit is doable.

Back last century when class D was expensive "gee whiz" technology, it was mostly a premium expensive solution.  Now that the technology has caught up and become cost effective it does IMO obsolete the old ways. From a purely engineering perspective a multiple tier class H or class G amplifier (similar but different) involves more complexity with additional points of failure than modern class D, so arguably more expensive to sell and less reliable.

That said do not throw away your amps, but if somebody offers you top dollar for them, don't chase them away.  8)

Back when I was product manager over all Peavey power amps I did some bench comparisons between class D and multi-rail designs. And the efficiency benefits to class D was not a much as touted. The class D technology from decades ago had idle energy dissipation that diminished the efficiency benefit for modest power output.

Now I see cost effective class D being a win-win-win... simpler, cheaper, and more efficient. I am mainly angry that I didn't have today's class D technology to sell back last century.  >:(

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.