ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide beam angle movers that are "affordable"  (Read 6451 times)

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Wide beam angle movers that are "affordable"
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »

Hi All:

Shopping around for a few movers that have a beam angle wide enough that they can highlight an artist from the knees up at roughly 15'. I suppose that would be a beam angle of 25-30 degrees? Another constraint would be price - looking to stay well under 1k per fixture if possible. Also, needs to have a LED source to keep power consumption down. I do not need a ton of colors (would like at least RBAW) or gobos. Here's the thing, I'd like it to have a reasonably sharp cutoff like a spot would. Is this a unicorn or can you guys steer me in the right direction?

Paging Jeff :)

Thanks!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Wide beam angle movers that are "affordable"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »

MAP for this is in your price range.
I can give better pricing.
Message me.

zoomable spot
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »

I don't know how much output you need, but there are several LED "mini zoom wash light" that might work.  They will not produce a sharp edge focused beam.  For that you need a "profile style" spot.  Again there are a lot of choices.  The Mini Spot 600 from Epsilon Pro has a street price of about $400.00.  It isn't as powerful and doesn't have the features of the Chauvet 375Z IRC Dave referenced, but they have been very reliable for my smaller church customers.  ADJ and Blizzard are two other manufacturers that offer a range of smaller affordable products.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »

Hi Brian, am I the Jeff you're looking for?  There are a few of us Jeffs here!  Have you looked into the Elation Fuze Washes?  I wouldn't say it's priced well under 1k, but the smaller Z120 model should be around that through a dealer with reasonable pricing.  No gobos of course, but it's hard to go wrong with a 7-55 degree zoom range!  As a disclaimer, I have yet to really see and drive one of these in person.  I want to say that maybe Tim or TJ has done an installation with them though, so if that's true maybe they can give a better comment on them...  If you're looking for a medium-sized wash light with a nice zoom range, good color mixing, and enough output to be worth its weight I'd probably start here.  While the beam's edge is defined, it's not a crisp edge like a "spot" or "profile" fixture can give. 

If you're okay giving up the color mixing and extreme zoom, something like a basic Intimidator can work too.  They're a little cheaper, but as always, the wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool!  The one nice selling point with a unit such as an Intimidator is that with motorized focus you should be able to get the right type of edge you're looking for.  I think if you shop yet another level up you get frost too, so that's yet one more tool to sculpt the beam with. 

There are also some 3-in-1 movers out there that can do the beam/wash/spot combination.  All the ones I know of that do this well are far beyond your budget though.  Good luck!

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:37:24 AM »

Hi Dave, message sent, thanks!

Hi Don, how robust are Epsilon products? I admit I have not come across them. The 600 has a mean angle of ca. 12 degrees which is probably too narrow for my application. I'll check out their other products though, thanks.

Hi Jeff, yes! I usually see you have some good info to add regarding lighting. The zoom range on the Elation fixture you mention is very appealing - I will have to have a closer look at that. The Z120 comes in a little lighter than the 375Z which is nice, but the MAP is above what I can afford atm. I will spend some time looking at the basic Intimidators as well. I do not need more than basic colors. I would have to see if any have an appropriate beam angle. FYI, by well under 1k I guess I'm trying to target fixtures in the 6-800 range assuming they will meet my needs. If none will, I'd probably wait until I can afford an appropriate model.

All, I am kind of stumped at what I need in terms of power. As much as I want a smaller/lighter fixture, I know it's better to have a brighter one and dim. However, I will almost always be using these at fairly close range of under 20ft except when they might pass over the audience. Is there any rule of thumb on output vs. angle or do I need to experience these in person to really know?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:39:27 AM by BrianHenry »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 01:59:37 PM »

Inverse square rule applies to distance vs lux.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »

Hi Brian, am I the Jeff you're looking for?  There are a few of us Jeffs here!  Have you looked into the Elation Fuze Washes?  I wouldn't say it's priced well under 1k, but the smaller Z120 model should be around that through a dealer with reasonable pricing.  No gobos of course, but it's hard to go wrong with a 7-55 degree zoom range!  As a disclaimer, I have yet to really see and drive one of these in person.  I want to say that maybe Tim or TJ has done an installation with them though, so if that's true maybe they can give a better comment on them...  If you're looking for a medium-sized wash light with a nice zoom range, good color mixing, and enough output to be worth its weight I'd probably start here.  While the beam's edge is defined, it's not a crisp edge like a "spot" or "profile" fixture can give. 

If you're okay giving up the color mixing and extreme zoom, something like a basic Intimidator can work too.  They're a little cheaper, but as always, the wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool!  The one nice selling point with a unit such as an Intimidator is that with motorized focus you should be able to get the right type of edge you're looking for.  I think if you shop yet another level up you get frost too, so that's yet one more tool to sculpt the beam with. 

There are also some 3-in-1 movers out there that can do the beam/wash/spot combination.  All the ones I know of that do this well are far beyond your budget though.  Good luck!
I'm not familiar with the Elation gear. I have heard good things about the Fuze Washes, but haven't seen them.  I own and use Chauvet Rogue R2 washes, which are slightly above your budget from a good dealer, but the smaller R1 washes would fit your budget easily and are probably adequate for brightness for you.  As Jeff said, all of these are wash fixtures, and will have somewhat of a soft edge to the beam, but that's pretty normal for the application you're suggesting and I don't think it's a problem.

The Intimidators that I have experienced are toys compared to the Chauvet Rogue washes in terms of output and color gamut.  They can be useful for effects, but are at least a class below the wash fixtures of similar price ranges.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »

I'm not familiar with the Elation gear. I have heard good things about the Fuze Washes, but haven't seen them. 

Ah sorry, Mr. Weaver was the one I was thinking of - particularly from this thread here.

Either way, I'd agree that the Rogue R1 Wash should also be a strong contender here.  Both the Rogue and Fuze Series are a noticeable step up from fixtures like Intimidators and Inno Spot/Beam/Washes.  It might be worth getting a demo and quote on the Fuze washes, but I strongly suspect they'll still be above the 600-800 range.  Only a demo will tell you if they're worth saving up for.

It just really depends if you (Brian) want a dedicated wash light with strong output and good color production versus something with gobos and focus at the expense of color mixing...and this all comes down to application.  Can you accept watching a color wheel scroll through the rainbow while changing from one desired color to the next, or must it be a nice smooth "stage & studio" transition?  Also, most Bar/Club/DJ movers such as the Intimidators have the full gamut of color on their wheels, and not in a good way...  How often are you really going to use that neon pink or the Frankenstein green?  At least in my experience, maybe only 2 or 3 of the included colors will be friendly to stage washes - the others are useless or for special applications only.  I'd think you'll get far more mileage out of a wash light here, even though a true stage wash doesn't seem to be the intended application. 

One last thing to think about is whether the "pixel" look of some wash lights such as the Rogue Washes bothers you (or excites you), or if you want a more "traditional" look to the front of your fixtures.  Just more food for thought!   

Hi Jeff, yes! I usually see you have some good info to add regarding lighting.

Why thank you!  I really appreciate it.  Just trying to help others along, as so many have helped me along in my own journey! 

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

you should be able to find used martin mac 301s (or JB lighting A7s...same fixture) for under a grand per fixture these days

they don't mix a *perfect* white, being only RGB, but they're definitely reliable fixtures
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Graham Spice

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »

you should be able to find used martin mac 301s (or JB lighting A7s...same fixture) for under a grand per fixture these days

they don't mix a *perfect* white, being only RGB, but they're definitely reliable fixtures
Here are some used 301s for sale: https://www.usedlighting.com/29371/martin-mac-301-wash-led

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.