ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?  (Read 8831 times)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Single-event Liability/Gear Insurance?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »

Is it just me... or when you select the event type on the first page, and location, and click "next," it defaults back to "wedding" and "California" ?!?

-r

It works for me.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »

... you mean it doesn't default back on that next page? Weird. Because yeah, I just tried it again- you choose the event type and state, and when you click "next" to go to the next page, when the *second page* loads, it changes back to "wedding" in "california." Yes, I have Javascript enabled and cookies are being accepted (even though those aren't secure in any manner....).

... I wish web developers would test their code to ensure it works for all people, using any browser. (Since, you know, that was the whole reason behind the internet in the first place!)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »

Funny that the duration of the event doesn't seem to change the cost for insurance. 1 day, or 52 days, same price!

But the price they are charging is pretty steep.  I get an entire YEAR of coverage for what they are asking for one event.

If your event is only a week out, getting insurance on time may be a bit difficult.  You surely won't have the time to shop all of the plans and know what you are getting.

If you are looking for gear coverage, make SURE you know what you are getting.  Some insurance plans will sell you 'depreciated value' coverage.  What that means is if you have electronic gear more than 5 years old, they will say it's depreciated to next to nothing when you try and make a claim, even though there's no way for you to replace the gear for that price.
Brian Jojade

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 02:30:34 AM »

Funny that the duration of the event doesn't seem to change the cost for insurance. 1 day, or 52 days, same price!

But the price they are charging is pretty steep.  I get an entire YEAR of coverage for what they are asking for one event.

It does change if you multiply the daily attendance by the number of days like you are supposed to.

From the FAQ:
"Your estimated total attendance is the total number of attendees combined for all days of your event."

The cost per day/attendee goes down dramatically as more days of coverage and # of attendees are added.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Simon Eves

• Stapleton Theatre Company
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »

Ooh. This thread got a lot more positive. That'll teach me to make sure e-mail notifications are on...

Thanks, everyone. I'll look into eventhelper.com

SE

Simon Eves

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »

So the hotel got back to us, and said that they do require a "COI" (which I assume stands for Certificate of Insurance) for "all the days (my) gear will be there, as well as a COI for each band/dj that will be coming in."

They also asked that four of the hotel group's hierarchy of LLCs be listed as additional insured.

Is this reasonable? I'm telling myself that this is something they would have asked for anyway, and not just because I asked (because I'm paranoid)... but now I'm worried that I've triggered everyone to have to pay money for insurance that will blow a hole in their takings for the gig...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »

So the hotel got back to us, and said that they do require a "COI" (which I assume stands for Certificate of Insurance) for "all the days (my) gear will be there, as well as a COI for each band/dj that will be coming in."

They also asked that four of the hotel group's hierarchy of LLCs be listed as additional insured.

Is this reasonable? I'm telling myself that this is something they would have asked for anyway, and not just because I asked (because I'm paranoid)... but now I'm worried that I've triggered everyone to have to pay money for insurance that will blow a hole in their takings for the gig...

No, IMNSHO, it is not reasonable to be required to list the corporate hierarchy as an additional named insured.

You need a lawyer, not audio guys from many different jurisdictions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »

No, IMNSHO, it is not reasonable to be required to list the corporate hierarchy as an additional named insured.

You need a lawyer, not audio guys from many different jurisdictions.

Back when I was still in the business, I crossed out and initialed any such demands in the contract.  I can't remember an instance where they didn't accept my line-item vetoes nor any loss of work because of it.

My position was to give them proof of current liability insurance, period.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »

All very standard stuff in this litigious world.  Be sure to get a copy of their " also insured " wording to send to your insurance company.  The exact wording is the only acceptable wording.  I suspect it's time to bring a real production company that already has the required insurance onboard and sail under their flag for this show.

Simon Eves

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

OK, so there is no official "production company" here. It's just a multi-act gig arranged by an individual from one of the acts, and the other acts are his friends.

He personally rented the venue, and has a contract from them which does not say *anything* about an insurance requirement.

I think they're only asking for it now because I (as co-sound-tech-provider) was naive and paranoid and suggested to the individual that he ask if the venue needed it... :(

The three out of the four acts that I've asked about this aspect of it say that they do not have their own insurance.

Naively, if the contract doesn't say it, then presumably we're not obliged to provide it, and certainly not obliged to list four separate venue-related LLCs as additional insured.

Also presumably, given that the contract was mutually agreed, they can't now be dicks and cancel the gig if we don't. OK, so of course they could, but would they? It's not some fly-by-night shack. It's the lounge of a well-respected hotel that's part of a fairly big hotel group.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we shouldn't still HAVE the insurance anyway, for our own peace of mind.

Ugh.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.