ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal monitor system for a Yamaha TF3 digital mixer  (Read 23321 times)

Chris Sieggen

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
Re: Personal monitor system for a Yamaha TF3 digital mixer
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 10:17:50 PM »

No. Everything goes on the primary network. Any device which also has a secondary network also goes on the secondary network. You do not need to use the secondary network, but it provides a level of redundancy. The secondary network is completely separate, with a second set of switches.

Mac

So, would this be a likely cat5 set up:

Dante primary out on TF3/5 over cat 5 to a Tio or Rio stage box's primary in, near the stage.
THEN, come out of the secondary Dante out on the Tio/Rio into an 8 channel router that the Studio Tech 362's plug into.

Would that work? After watching Yamaha set up videos linking three Tio stage boxes, it seems the secondary out on the boxes can be used in a daisy chain configuration.

Sorry if I am asking newbie questions, Dante set ups are kind of new to me. I really appreciate the info on this forum. Super helpful and inspiring.

Chris

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 11:20:17 PM »

Dante primary out on TF3/5 over cat 5 to a Tio or Rio stage box's primary in, near the stage.
THEN, come out of the secondary Dante out on the Tio/Rio into an 8 channel router that the Studio Tech 362's plug into.

Would that work? After watching Yamaha set up videos linking three Tio stage boxes, it seems the secondary out on the boxes can be used in a daisy chain configuration.

Sorry if I am asking newbie questions, Dante set ups are kind of new to me. I really appreciate the info on this forum. Super helpful and inspiring.

Chris

It is possible to use a daisy chain configuration, but that is not the way I would do it. Since you propose having a switch anyway why not just plug all the stage gear into it? Use a GB network switch and plug all your devices into that with CAT5. If you want to have a secondary network, get a second switch and plug the secondary port of all your devices into that network. What I do is use at least 4 switches, 2 at FOH, and 2 onstage, with the Primary and Secondary networks run on 2 CAT5 or 2 fiber pairs between FOH and stage. Fiber is more reliable, and more rugged, but also more expensive.

The switches do not have to be expensive or exotic. Pretty much any GB 8 port switch will be fine if all you are running is your Dante network. The only caveat is to avoid EEE mode "green" switches.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 02:27:55 AM »

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:17 AM »

-----

Since i remember my first forays into Dante, i'm going to mention a couple of things that others will forget aren't obvious.  :)

First, you don't want to use a 'router' in your dante network.  You want an "Ethernet Switch".  This is a simple device that just networks all the devices together and relies on the devices on the network to figure things out, which Dante devices are usually quite good at doing.  The only thing you'll need to look for is a switch that has POE [power over ethernet] ports to power your Studio Technologies boxes.

There aren't 'channels' on a Ethernet Switch.  Think of it more like a big splitter box.  Every port is the same and if you take the port of one Switch and plug it into another switch you're just adding more ports.  Easy Breezy.

The Dante card for the TF provides 64 Dante inputs and 64 Dante outputs on the Dante Network.  The 64 Outputs can be freely routed to Any Dante Input on the network.  Within the TF mixing console, you can route your various mixbusses or direct outputs or whatever you wish to any of these Dante outputs.  So essentially you can send Any mixbuss to Any Studio Tech headphone amp you wish or to multiple Studio Tech Headphone amps if you wish.  You can also send those channels to other things like to a Computer to do a multi-track recording or any number of other possibilities.  Dante is cool!

Dante is, for all intents and purposes, regular old Ethernet Network.  So basic Ethernet network rules apply, with one Very Big Exception.  Dante will NOT work over WiFi due to latency issues.  So as long as you're doing a wired network, it works fine and can even travel along an existing computer network if that is convenient.  But it won't work over WiFi.

That's all i got for right now.  Hopefully that is helpful.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Chris Sieggen

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »

Since i remember my first forays into Dante, i'm going to mention a couple of things that others will forget aren't obvious.  :)

First, you don't want to use a 'router' in your dante network.  You want an "Ethernet Switch".  This is a simple device that just networks all the devices together and relies on the devices on the network to figure things out, which Dante devices are usually quite good at doing.  The only thing you'll need to look for is a switch that has POE [power over ethernet] ports to power your Studio Technologies boxes.

There aren't 'channels' on a Ethernet Switch.  Think of it more like a big splitter box.  Every port is the same and if you take the port of one Switch and plug it into another switch you're just adding more ports.  Easy Breezy.

The Dante card for the TF provides 64 Dante inputs and 64 Dante outputs on the Dante Network.  The 64 Outputs can be freely routed to Any Dante Input on the network.  Within the TF mixing console, you can route your various mixbusses or direct outputs or whatever you wish to any of these Dante outputs.  So essentially you can send Any mixbuss to Any Studio Tech headphone amp you wish or to multiple Studio Tech Headphone amps if you wish.  You can also send those channels to other things like to a Computer to do a multi-track recording or any number of other possibilities.  Dante is cool!

Dante is, for all intents and purposes, regular old Ethernet Network.  So basic Ethernet network rules apply, with one Very Big Exception.  Dante will NOT work over WiFi due to latency issues.  So as long as you're doing a wired network, it works fine and can even travel along an existing computer network if that is convenient.  But it won't work over WiFi.

That's all i got for right now.  Hopefully that is helpful.

Tim, perfect! I was just working on a diagram to run by you for a simple TF3, Studio Tech Monitor Mix set up. No need now, this makes all the sense in the world.

Brian, great tips and super helpful. I am excited about how this can all work out.

Thank you everyone!

Chris

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Tim, perfect! I was just working on a diagram to run by you for a simple TF3, Studio Tech Monitor Mix set up. No need now, this makes all the sense in the world.

Brian, great tips and super helpful. I am excited about how this can all work out.

Thank you everyone!

Chris

Glad it's working out for you :)

FYI, I have a (nearly) identical setup [TF5, TIO, Aviom (want.to.replace...)] that I mix on every Sunday. If you have any questions or need help let me know.

FYI, the TF series inputs & outputs on specific Dante channels in the quick setup mode. (refer to pages 95/96 of the manual)

Beware the extra 8ch's past 32 as they don't have any usable DSP items.

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 24 queries.