ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR vs. JBL SRX or maybe DSL  (Read 17135 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: JTR vs. JBL SRX or maybe DSL
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

We run our SM/80-TH -118 rig off of a DNA 20k. Previously, we used original Itechs. With the factory settings and excellent limiter functions it's a pretty easy/user friendly system. We try and power the amp with 240v when available.

The system is constantly in use, on an average of three days a week.

Despite what some may say, I don't hear a lack of low mid with this system. The TH 118 has no problem, and sounds excellent reproducing these frequencies.

Here are a couple clips of two outdoor venues we work on a weekly basis.
Audience can range from 100-1500 depending on popularity of the band/event.

Never once has a promoter or BE complained about the performance of the system.

https://youtu.be/zb25Rng40SU

https://youtu.be/_3X0hXLUwAY

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 02:14:08 PM »

This lack of measurement experience may play a part in my decision if the Danley or JTR rigs need measured and adjusted to sound good.

What amp/processing packages should I look at for the Danley and JTR rigs?
All of the Danley boxes (except the full active ones-like the Jerichos) are designed to sound very good straight out of the box-with no processing.

A lot of effort is put into the internal xover to achieve this.

Yes, you can add some processing to "Sweeten" it up a bit, but it can be as simple as Mixer-amp-speaker and play.

The Danley DNA amps have presets in them for the various boxes.

But you could just use any old plain amp (as long as it is decent quality) and do just fine.

I know quite a few people who don't do anything to the boxes (processing wise).

Some other manufacturers rely on outboard processing to even sound acceptable.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Powell

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »

What amp/processing packages should I look at for the Danley and JTR rigs? The Crown iTech HD are really expensive. I know you have to pay to play, but dang.

I probably have a total of $2200 invested in amps for my Danley TH118/SM80 combo. Bought a used I-Tech 6000 for the lows and a used xti4000 for the mid/high, and with the internal processing haven't had a hiccup. There are better and worse combinations out there for sure, for $500 more I could have picked up a used ITech 4000 rather than the xti. I formerly had an xti6000 on the low end, but I can tell the difference in the ITech's more robust power supply. FWIW, I bought the TH's used also for a bargain price, and got a really good deal on the SM80s new. The Danley stuff doesn't often show up used, and the JTR stuff is even more rare used, but they are out there to be had if price is a factor.

Peter Morris

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

Thanks Peter.

I was looking at building some PM90 or 60 cabinets but didn't get any response (on another forum) from Max about flat packs or anyone about processing. I don't have the measurement experience to dial them in and would need presets for DSP.

Hi David thanks for the interest in the PM60/90.  Sorry you didn’t get a response, but unfortunately I don’t have settings for the Behringer DCX2496 that you requested.

I have posted settings using FIR and or IIR filters and crossovers for a Lake LM26 on the forum, but these would not work with the DCX2496.  I was hoping that perhaps some of the other builders may develop settings for alternative processors.

Just to put some perspective on this design – It has typically about 10dB more output than the SM80 and an excellent frequency and phase response. The “holy grail” of a speaker design is often consider its ability to reproduce an acoustic square wave - The PM90/60 will do this both on and off both axes … but it come at a cost $$$.  It uses very expensive drivers, its complex to build and it was designed to be used with a significant amount of high-end DSP processing.

The idea was to produce a speaker with as much SPL and sound quality (above 100Hz) that could be mounted on a pole i.e. less than 80lbs.  There are a lot of very good speakers out there that can be pole mounted and there didn’t seem to be any point in building a DIY project to replicate their performance, so the design ended up being complex and expensive.

I also have to also say that both the SM80 and JTR 3TX are great speakers, especially for the price.  I have actually built something very similar to the 3TX. It now uses 2 x 10” drivers and a BMS4594HE compression driver, similar to BMS4593 used in the 3TX and it is a similar weight and format. Although it has been upgraded several times I have been using this design for almost 20 years. I must say it has been the most useful hard working box I have owned.

FWIW I don’t think you will go wrong with any of the 3 boxes you listed - Good luck with what every you choose  :)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »

I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but we ran a show in a park last night and brought a really small rig, at the request of the organizer. It's in a residential area and they were only expecting around 200 people.

Turned out they had closer to 400 people, and most people sat 80-150 feet from the "stage" (a pavilion/shelter).

We ended-up using two Yamaha DSR112s over two JTR Orbit Shifters and had good coverage. We ran the OS on a PLD4.5 amp - I was originally only going to bring one OS but when I saw large amounts of people gathering prior to the show, I rolled out another OS...

These DSR112 are pretty amazing, especially for the price point. The video is *crummy* (iPhone, handheld, while mixing) but it's at about 80-feet out. I threw this online to give an idea of the DSR112/OS combo.

https://youtu.be/ZSP_yzSBAy4

Here's the 3TX in action at the brewery event that I posted about earlier. Taken close to the stage, and again with iPhone so quality isn't too great...

https://youtu.be/lGbIzDcAnbY

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 08:56:53 PM »

Another phone vid of DSRs in a park concert.  The beginning of this from about 70' back.  And another pic from further back to get an idea of the area covered.  Maybe 75dB at the back of the lawn, but clear and articulate and people are able to lay back and rest.  Folks go up front to get the impact and dance.  Subs are Cubo 18s with 18Sound LW1400s driven by a Crest Pro9200 that's just loafing along flashing the signal lights to the beat.  Based on the previous post, a pair of OS might be the ticket.
https://tinyurl.com/ycfulzzd

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 11:48:11 PM »

Another phone vid of DSRs in a park concert. 

Sorry for the topic swerve...what model of stands and speaker adapters are those?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 12:19:27 AM »

Sorry for the topic swerve...what model of stands and speaker adapters are those?
Dura-Truss DT-3800 crank stands with Nimrod Weber's BT-12 tilters.  I put a review of them in the user review section.  They'll be perfect if I ever get to the point of affording SM-80s.   ;)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »

I use the DT- 3800 for the SM-80. It's a real pain to open and close the legs, almost to the point where I have considered tossing them in the dumpster. Do you have the same issue Stephen?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't responded because I haven't had the time to spend. Crazy weekend, for me anyways. 5 shows in 3 days and s battle of the bands last night (we won :).

I'll get back to everyone on Monday after some sleep.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.