ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dura-Truss DT3800 crank stand  (Read 4068 times)

Stephen Kirby

Dura-Truss DT3800 crank stand
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »

For this summer I got a pair of Dura-Truss DT-3800 crank stands though our good friend Mike Pyle.  For a professional piece of kit the price is very reasonable.  And the quality puts the typical cable/winch lighting stand to shame.  At 37 lbs a piece they're similar in handling but work much better.

I've used these a number of times already to lift my Yamaha DSR112s.  I also have Nimrod's BT-12 tilters which are pretty essential for this set up.  The stands go up to 12' high but I'm typically using them 8' up, with the additional half a foot from the tilters.  I put a sharpie mark on them after measuring to make sure I set them up the same.  But if you start them in the same place, with the handles pointed in the same direction, they go to the same height.  Unlike cable and winch things that do whatever they want as you crank on them.  The positive gearing is very smooth.  I don't know what they do to make them stay but with ~50lbs of DSR up there, they wind up effortlessly and stay wherever I leave them.  Then, wind them right back down at the end.

The handle snaps on and off a hex on the drive train and it's a good safety idea to flip it around to the transport position so if it did try to wind down it would stop against the stand.  There's a retainer spring that's easy to pull back when taking the handle on and off so it's a very positive engagement.

They're about 5' tall all the way down.  Then there's the additional height of the tilters.  For me it's fairly easy to stand on my subs to put the DSRs on.  I suspect if someone were to be putting SM-80s on them, you'd either want a similar sized cabinet or a small step stool to make the lift easier.  These with the tilters would make an ultimate setup for gigs where the SM-80s fit.  Pretty much the ultimate DSR stand as well.

There's one position to the legs and a spring loaded pin has to be pulled out to move the legs from folded in.  That same pin snaps in place when the legs are extended so you get a consistent setting for that.  There's also a thumb screw that locks the legs in either position.  When you set the stand upright with the legs folded up, it sits on the column base by about a half an inch.  A nice touch as getting the legs started out doesn't require lifting the stand.  Although you obviously have to lift it a bit to get them all the way out.  The base is pretty close to the ground.  I have set them up on a fairly flat lawn and they were still stable with the legs firmly on the ground, and I've mostly used them on concrete patios.  Not sure how good they'd be on really uneven ground.  You'd probably want some boards under the feet.  There's no leveling provision so you'd want to shim them level anyway.

My only complaint so far is the the locking pin for the legs is sometimes a big hard to pull out while starting the slider downwards.  The little rings that are in the pin aren't the most stout things and I've already bent one a bit.  Probably head down to the handy sailboat chandlery and get something a bit stronger.  Here's a couple of pictures from the most recent patio/city part event I did.  (note, the subs are splayed out like that to reduce the power alley at the expense of better coupling.  This worked better than other configurations I've tried here based on RayEnd models)

Hanno Meingast

Re: Dura-Truss DT3800 crank stand
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »

Any concern about the size of the footprint? If I remember correctly, the splay is about the same as an ultimate TS99, while it goes up another 3 feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.    Hanno

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:26:47 AM »

I wouldn't put them up above the 8' shown without them being protected from someone crashing into them.  The subs do that here although given the proximity of the patio where people tend to dance at this place, 8' was a good trim height.
I did wind one all the way up (12') and with the DSR on it, there's some sway but absent someone large crashing into it I wouldn't have a problem doing that.  Maybe at some larger area with bike rack barriers guarding them.
They're considerably heavier and more substantial than my TS-99s.  Probably a similar amount of sway at 12' as the Ultimates have at their max height.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:26:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.