ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL EON 600 series vs Yamaha DBR  (Read 20336 times)

Kane Mitchell

JBL EON 600 series vs Yamaha DBR
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »

So I need some advice on choosing some active speakers. I recently bought 2 cheap Mackie sw1801 18" subs converted to passive with a 2000W amp which are a little bit excessive for what I realistically need. I now have to choose my FOH speakers. I am mainly going to be using them for party situations (21st's). my price range for the speakers is around $600 per box. The main ones that I have been looking at are the JBL EON or the Yamaha DBR. The EV ZLX are a bit more expensive and I didn't feel like they offer much more than the other 2.

As I will be using them with the subs majority of the time, my question was whether I should get the 10" or 12" drivers. Are there any advantages in getting the 12" speakers over the 10" when using subs?

I was leaning more towards the DBR's but their 10" version is around 150W less than the 12". Max SPL is only a few decibels different so will this matter?

Also in Australia the Yamaha's come with a 5 year warranty whilst the JBL's only come with a 1 year warranty for electronics and 3 years for driver.

Any suggestions what would be the best option?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: JBL EON 600 series vs Yamaha DBR
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 10:52:13 PM »

A longer warranty is, all things being otherwise equal, always a good thing. As between the 10" and 12" versions, look at where the crossover will need to be from the subs to the tops. I suspect that the 12" might be a bit smoother, but I have not looked at the frequency responses of the options you are considering.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:54:46 PM »

For that budget I would look for a pair of used Yamaha DSR112, IMO easily better than both your choices.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Kane Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

For that budget I would look for a pair of used Yamaha DSR112, IMO easily better than both your choices.

Apart from being much more powerful, would the DSR's sound quality be much higher or are you basically just paying for more watts?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:08:34 PM »

Apart from being much more powerful, would the DSR's sound quality be much higher or are you basically just paying for more watts?

Way better sounding.

Besides, watts doesn't tell you anything about a speaker cabinet.

SPL tells you how loud it can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:43:39 PM »

In between the two is the DXR series, which to me sounds more appropriate from your description.
These boxes sound great, loud and full.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »

Yamaha all the way... EONs are horrible sounding boxes IMO. I'd also suggest 12" mains with 18" subs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:44 AM »

I own a pair of DBR12 that sound fine for what I'm using them for - mostly voice reinforcement and  foreground music.  I'm told they will sound funky when cranked but I'm not coming close to that SPL with my needs.  No subs needed in my use.  To me the DBR sound better than the 600 series EONs.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

scottstephens

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:26 AM »

Kane,

I have the EON 612's that I use for talking heads and a little bit of music and I am not impressed!! I purchased them a few years ago mainly because I have lots of other JBL's; SRX, Vertecs and such. The EONs are lame for anything other than speech. Go with the Yamahas.

Scott

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

You might try contacting Mike Pyle on this forum for a delivered price on the Yamaha DSR or DXR. He is a dealer in California, and can possibly help you. I recommend the 12's over the 10's.

If you want JBL get nothing less that the PRX series, but I think you'll be very happy with the Yamaha's and their better warranty.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 12:54:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.