ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 good, 1 bad, what gives??  (Read 5545 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
1 good, 1 bad, what gives??
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »

So I'm testing and cleaning, taking things apart for maintenance on some gear and noticed the one of my 15" drivers was completely separated from the frame  :o
However, it's a dual 15" cab and the top 15" is in perfect condition without any issues. What could have caused this to happen??

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: 1 good, 1 bad, what gives??
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

Rot. That is a known issue with older drivers, it is much more common with foam or rubber suspension but not unheard of with paper rolled suspension either. A good reconer will be able to fix that up for you good as new and no it doesn't require a complete recone.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »

Rot. That is a known issue with older drivers, it is much more common with foam or rubber suspension but not unheard of with paper rolled suspension either. A good reconer will be able to fix that up for you good as new and no it doesn't require a complete recone.
That is ASSUMING that the voice coil is still in good condition and did not scrape to much with the surround missing.

I used to do a lot of those types of repairs (surround replacement).
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »

That is ASSUMING that the voice coil is still in good condition and did not scrape to much with the surround missing.

I used to do a lot of those types of repairs (surround replacement).

It's just odd that only one of them was like that...  :-\ I ended up purchasing another LC-1514 driver to replace it. Have shows coming up this weekend and need them ready.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »

I'd consider replacing them both.
If they have seen similar service and environment, the second one may be on it's last legs.
Things wear out, rubber rots.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »

Just being a foot and a half closer to the ground its entire life could have put more environmental stress on the lower driver, causing the cone to rot.  Or, it could have been a manufacturing defect.

Now that you've bought a replacement, get this one re-coned, and you've got a spare ready to rock, just in case.

It's surprisingly easy to re-cone standard drivers with the pre-assembled kits.
Brian Jojade

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

Just being a foot and a half closer to the ground its entire life could have put more environmental stress on the lower driver, causing the cone to rot.  Or, it could have been a manufacturing defect.

Now that you've bought a replacement, get this one re-coned, and you've got a spare ready to rock, just in case.

It's surprisingly easy to re-cone standard drivers with the pre-assembled kits.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm having the damaged one repaired and will be my "backup" in inventory for the future. :)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:35 PM »

So I'm testing and cleaning, taking things apart for maintenance on some gear and noticed the one of my 15" drivers was completely separated from the frame  :o
However, it's a dual 15" cab and the top 15" is in perfect condition without any issues. What could have caused this to happen??

Did you buy the speaker new? If not, there is the possibility that the 2 drivers are not the same age.

Mac

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:12 PM »

Did you buy the speaker new? If not, there is the possibility that the 2 drivers are not the same age.

Mac
According to other threads, he got these used from someone who had a pile of older EAW gear.  It sounded like they'd been sitting around unused for awhile as well.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »

According to other threads, he got these used from someone who had a pile of older EAW gear.  It sounded like they'd been sitting around unused for awhile as well.

Correct, they were not purchased new... I knew I might run into something similar purchasing used gear, but not just on one driver, which of course could very well be that they are not the originals and the top driver is a "newer/replaced" driver as it shows NO signs of rot anywhere and works perfectly.

With the wiring configuration of these cabs, you're able to fire one driver by using a NL2, or use a NL4 to fire both, when I originally purchased them, he was most likely using a NL2  otherwise I would have noticed  the "rattle".

Thanks guys. New driver is on it's way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.