ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB600e - Gotta say, I'm impressed!  (Read 6297 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: EAW SB600e - Gotta say, I'm impressed!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:01:50 PM »

Nothing to do with the mixer.

A muted amplifier acts as a dead short across the terminals, which means the cones will experience a lot of damping when external pressure acts on them. It's to stop nearby cabinets "absorbing" some of the output from the active cabinet.

Chris
So, If I am reading you correctly, a nearby speaker plugged into a dead amp is better than a nearby speaker that is plugged into nothing. (?)

I am not sure that I am getting it, but ok.
Member since 2005.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »

So, If I am reading you correctly, a nearby speaker plugged into a dead amp is better than a nearby speaker that is plugged into nothing. (?)

Almost.  The "dead" amp has to be powered up, but not driven.  Or you can use a shorting plug inserted into the input of the adjacent loudspeaker NOT being tested.

The idea is that cones of the not-being-tested loudspeaker do not react to pressure from the DUT.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »

Well, I'm finally going to get a chance to pull everything out of the garage this weekend and fire everything up, neighbors are in for some fun! :)

I will perform the tests mentioned above and see what I hear.
Keep you all posted.

I guess my other questions also is, I plan on using these subs (SB600) for smaller venues, and I also noticed that the KF300's I picked up also have pole mounts inserted on the bottom of the cabinets. However the SB600's do not have the pole mount.

Would it be wise to drill out a hole and adapt a pole mount kit and seal it correctly?

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »

I guess my other questions also is, I plan on using these subs (SB600) for smaller venues, and I also noticed that the KF300's I picked up also have pole mounts inserted on the bottom of the cabinets. However the SB600's do not have the pole mount.

Would it be wise to drill out a hole and adapt a pole mount kit and seal it correctly?

No, unless you get specific instructions from EAW.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »

No, unless you get specific instructions from EAW.

EAW says they don't see why not, as long as I pull the top driver out first and measure twice, drill once. :)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

EAW says they don't see why not, as long as I pull the top driver out first and measure twice, drill once. :)
I would put a bead of silicon on/around that speaker top hat before you screw it down to the opening to seal up any air leakage.
This will also give some added strength to the bonding to the cabinet.
I would also never use a plastic top hat.  Steel all the way.

Penn Elcom makes a back plate that mounts underneath for added strength.

Penn-Elcom M1551/BP Backplate For M1551/M1552 Steel Top Hats

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

I would put a bead of silicon on/around that speaker top hat before you screw it down to the opening to seal up any air leakage.
This will also give some added strength to the bonding to the cabinet.
I would also never use a plastic top hat.  Steel all the way.

Penn Elcom makes a back plate that mounts underneath for added strength.

Penn-Elcom M1551/BP Backplate For M1551/M1552 Steel Top Hats

Thanks. I was planning on using rubber cement to create a nice seal and lock out any air leaks, but silicone works also. and I wouldn't go with anything BUT metal plates. The plastic ones suck.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »

Would it be prudent to HP one set of cabinets above the port tuning frequency?  That's where things get wonky in phase and two different cabinets with their own tuning may behave together up high, but start diverging when the ports kick in.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »

YES

Whenever I bring a system into a venue that already has a system. I ask the system tech to turn on the amps and mute the signal going to them.

The amps act as a "brake" to the cone movement.

It nearby speakers are moving, they are absorbing energy that could be going into the room.  This can lower the output of the driving speakers and cause nothes in the overall freq response.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »

In my youth I worked in a consumer stereo store.  The kind with a room that had shelves and wall to wall speakers.  You could manipulate the sound of things by where you put it relative to everything else.  I didn't understand it that well at the time but I knew the other boxes were absorbing sound according to how their cabinets were tuned.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:41:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.