Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > DJ Forum

Is this a new DJ thing?????????

(1/4) > >>

Ivan Beaver:
I have been getting the impression (I won't go into details) that at some DJ events, some of the guys are simply muting and unmuting various subs during the performance-at full performance level.

I assume this is for some sort of "effect"?

This is a new concept to me-has anybody else run into it?

David Allred:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on July 19, 2017, 02:00:16 PM ---I have been getting the impression (I won't go into details) that at some DJ events, some of the guys are simply muting and unmuting various subs during the performance-at full performance level.

I assume this is for some sort of "effect"?

This is a new concept to me-has anybody else run into it?

--- End quote ---

That could definitely be an effect.  Could also be an anti-fatigue (auditory) attempt?

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: David Allred on July 19, 2017, 02:56:12 PM ---That could definitely be an effect.  Could also be an anti-fatigue (auditory) attempt?

--- End quote ---
I think it is more of the "sudden" effect of reducing some of the subs, rather than just turning them down.

And then only some of them.

It seems like asking for trouble-especially if some are muted and they forget and then want full level.

But then again-it is "art", and pretty much anything goes.

Guy Graham:
Might it be some modern adjustable digital version of kill switches, or even just the low frequency kill switch from a typical 3-way steep analogue fixed pass band filter?

These were used by some DJs (especially mixing genres with lots of percussive builds, breakdowns etc) both to produce extra drama by further manipulating the thump exciting the dance floor, as well as allowing smoother, subtler and more complex mixing - all via punching in and out huge portions of the frequency spectrum.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees:

--- Quote from: Ivan Beaver on July 19, 2017, 03:27:26 PM ---But then again-it is "art", and pretty much anything goes.

--- End quote ---

I don't know anything about Art, but I know what I like...and that ain't it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version