ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo vs Mono - who REALLY is running pure Mono?  (Read 13359 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Stereo vs Mono - who REALLY is running pure Mono?
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »

Like the time  I DJ'd a corporate gig and the MC insisted on standing directly in front of the left main with the wireless handheld mic.

+1  This right here is why it is good practice to always be running in stereo for smaller gigs.   This and my previously mention guitar amp beaming to only one side of the room from stage.  True mono impedes a lot of easy fixes in smaller rooms.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:50 PM »

I would like a clarification from the OP on the intended definition of pure mono. I will offer 3 potential choices. Please reply which of these if any meet your intended definition. If none are your intended definition, please explain.

(IMO I am running pure mono, but based on the reply from Scott I am led to believe that his opinion is that I am running stereo.)

1 A single source signal routed to a single speaker location. May include splitting the signal to high-mid-low frequencies.
2 A single source signal routed to multiple speaker locations (ie Left-Right) with a single volume control. (ie left and right volume may not be independently controlled.)
3 A single source signal routed to multiple speaker locations where each individual speaker location may have a different volume control. (and perhaps even a different EQ) Other than volume (and possibly EQ) there are no differences in the signal being sent to the speaker location.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:06 PM »

Many keyboard/synth/ampsim stereo presets does not sound good when summed into mono due to how they often are programmed.

Unless the player has created mono patches from scratch (yeah, right...) those instruments should be patched and output in stereo if possible.

David Allred

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 09:00:31 PM »

I would like a clarification from the OP on the intended definition of pure mono. I will offer 3 potential choices. Please reply which of these if any meet your intended definition. If none are your intended definition, please explain.

(IMO I am running pure mono, but based on the reply from Scott I am led to believe that his opinion is that I am running stereo.)

1 A single source signal routed to a single speaker location. May include splitting the signal to high-mid-low frequencies.
2 A single source signal routed to multiple speaker locations (ie Left-Right) with a single volume control. (ie left and right volume may not be independently controlled.)
3 A single source signal routed to multiple speaker locations where each individual speaker location may have a different volume control. (and perhaps even a different EQ) Other than volume (and possibly EQ) there are no differences in the signal being sent to the speaker location.

Regardless of the number of speakers all fed by a single output, or by a pair of outputs with all sources panned to center and no stereo effects.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

I believe that phrased another way, the intended definition is that the ratio of the signal strength all channels relative to each other is the same at all speaker locations.

By that definition, I believe I am running pure mono.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:41 PM »

For me it depends on the room. My system is always set up with stereo capability. I'll rarely pan things hard L/R.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »

what about keyboards and backing tracks?

This is speaking as a keyboard player. If it's my system, I run in stereo because it just makes things so much easier. I don't have to worry about phasing issues when L&R are summed, or hollow portions on the keyboard when using just one or the other. As you probably know, stereo pianos do not sum well, and although the mono sampled pianos are much better on newer keyboards, the best pianos are often the ones sampled in stereo.

That said, I always have my mono patches ready to go whenever I'm on other systems because most club systems are mono.

The exceptions are houses or worship. I've been playing keys in P&W bands for a few years now, and many of them are stereo.

So who is really running in pure mono? In my experience most clubs are, most contemporary worship churches aren't, and personally I am not. So it all depends on who you ask ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:12:10 PM by Bill Hornibrook »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »

I run a dual system, vocals mono, backline left and right through separate outputs, cabinets and amplifiers. So that must be monestreo.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »

The best thing to do with keyboards is just use the mono output.  If you really want to mess with a singer, run some chorus/Leslie effect in stereo where they can hear it from either side of them.

I run my system in stereo and reverb and such is in stereo but all the inputs are panned down the middle.  Unless someone is excessively loud on one side of the stage and I might balance them out for folks on the other side and not kill people on their side by adding PA.

Walk in/break music is stereo but I might pan it in a bit if the source material is "Beatles Stereo".

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »

Stereo for me as I run a band with a Leslie cabinet and other bands are running tracks or samples in stereo.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.