ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico S21/S31  (Read 23447 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Digico S21/S31
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

You know i'd completely forgotten about Palladium! That's really interesting. I've downloaded it to have a play with. Whilst it doesn't fix all of my problems (DCA reasignment isn't as useful without the scribble strips changing at the same time) it gives me loads more functionality. I think i'll still stick to my own mic plots for the time being as, to be honest, it's something I quite like doing, though the mic plot feature does look like an interesting concept.
This does actually open up a few more options for me in the future. Realistically i'm a long way off of affording a DLive system (newborn baby, moving house, general adult'y stuff that wasn't a problem 3 years ago before I was married and a dad!) but I was offered a very cheap second M480 a while back. To have 2 of them and be able to do some more involved theatre functions would be a huge deal. Either using them as a pair (they cascade really nicely with Roland's built in cascading and bus-sharing features) or having a spare in the van.

I don't know where in the world you are Kevin, but an M480 Palladium file would be incredible. If you're in the UK then I can get my console to you somehow. As most of you folks on here are from the US though it's probably unlikely. Roland do at least publish their full midi implementation (which I agree is incredibly open and useful) here;
https://proav.roland.com/global/support/by_product/m-480/owners_manuals/3d62ab5c-e4cc-43e4-9394-880e631ecfa3/
No idea how different it'll be to the M400 though.
It's been a brilliant console. If it had scribble strips and if Roland were still doing software updates, i'd not even be thinking of replacing it.
Should we take this to email since this is now a bit of a topic swerve. I will PM you my email. And I am in the USA near NYC. It’s not that long of a swim. :o

I just sent you a PM.

eytan gidron

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:30 AM »

Quick question for folks using the S21/31 - how do you find the scribble strips being part of the display rather than being the more conventional LCD's set in to the console's surface? It's hard to tell just from photos, but to my eyes they seem a little far away from their associated faders. Same with having the meters on screen rather than in the surface itself.
I mix theatre - a lot of it just pushing faders rather than using scene recalls as it's often un-rehearsed or one-off stuff where i'm thrown a script and have to mix it. Finding faders quickly is therefore a big deal for me. Do the faders seem to just fall to hand under their labels or do you find there's just a bit more time needed to trace down from the label to the fader?

Hi Chris,

You will get very good answers to anything about the S21/31 here at the DiGiCo Users group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/54540506496/

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »

Hi Chris,

You will get very good answers to anything about the S21/31 here at the DiGiCo Users group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/54540506496/
hi there,

lurking around for quite some time, but never registered before.

i'm using a S21 for about 1,5yrs now, 95% of the time stand-alone without stagerack, but also a couple of times with a D-rack.
really like the sound of the console/pre-amps. very natural and indeed a lot of headroom. don't like the FX so much but waves is to expensive in my usecase. what i really miss is any external controll.. midi/OSC/GPIO... hope it comes with any update

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »

The order of the EQ and dynamics can be toggled on a per channel basis (including bus/groups/master/aux/matrix).  This was fixed with the latest firmware release - v2.0
Yes, that is correct, you can have :

EQ -> Dynamics
or
Dynamics -> EQ

but still, you cannot have gate BEFORE the compressor.
The current signal flow in dynamics section is:
DYNAMICS A: compressor or multiband compressor
DYNAMICS B: gate (ducker) or keyed compressor.

I guess programmers at Digico like to compress the toms to make them harder to gate?  :-\

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 05:55:40 PM by Branimir Bozak »
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »

Yes, that is correct, you can have :

EQ -> Dynamics
or
Dynamics -> EQ

but still, you cannot have gate BEFORE the compressor.
The current signal flow in dynamics section is:
DYNAMICS A: compressor or multiband compressor
DYNAMICS B: gate (ducker) or keyed compressor.

I guess programmers at Digico like to compress the toms to make them harder to gate?  :-\

Use an external key source, then select the input itself, this should give you a pre-dynamics source for your gate.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

eytan gidron

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »

Nice tip about using the input as the key for the gate. DiGiCo now introduced the offline editor for the S21/31. It works on both Windows and Mac.

Joris Jans2

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:12 PM »

it works quicker on my laptop (microsoft surface pro 4) then on the console itself  :P

anyone else experienced that Aux bus mutes are unmuted for a second when changing scenes?
interesting, trying to reproduce the aux issue, can't succeed. maybe my (other) showfile is corrupt?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:39:44 AM by Joris Jans2 »

eytan gidron

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »

it works quicker on my laptop (microsoft surface pro 4) then on the console itself  :P

anyone else experienced that Aux bus mutes are unmuted for a second when changing scenes?

Hi Joris, what do you mean by changing scenes? Firing snapshots? Or loading a new session?

Joris Jans2

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 06:31:08 AM »

Hi Joris, what do you mean by changing scenes? Firing snapshots? Or loading a new session?

i meant changing snapshots. so when going from snapshot 1 --> snapshot 2.

edit: can't reproduce the problem anymore
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:40:11 AM by Joris Jans2 »

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »

I just downloaded the offline editor for the S21/31 and can't find the layer buttons like on SD series offline. Am I missing something?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 02:52:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 23 queries.