ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw  (Read 498 times)

Bob Teorey

Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw
« on: July 18, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »

Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw. One division of our company offers standalone laser light shows for small fairs and festivals. Typically 500 to 1,000 people. Have used tripod mounted powered speakers. They can work just fine except the short/wide throw. Line array will be too large for our van and setup. My problem is most of my shows are in large fields bigger than a football field. With such a small crowd and with mostly families. I do not require that much sound. However I need long throws to reach them. Looking for solutions and ideas. 

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:43:47 pm »

Looking for a small outdoor sound system with a long throw. One division of our company offers standalone laser light shows for small fairs and festivals. Typically 500 to 1,000 people. Have used tripod mounted powered speakers. They can work just fine except the short/wide throw. Line array will be too large for our van and setup. My problem is most of my shows are in large fields bigger than a football field. With such a small crowd and with mostly families. I do not require that much sound. However I need long throws to reach them. Looking for solutions and ideas.

Read and follow the forum rules.  You must use your real first and last name.

dick rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »

Reality check:

Whatever you decide to use, to achieve your stated goal in full will require more.  More (or much larger) speakers, set-up time, power and deployment rigging whether scaffold (least expensive) or towers.

PS

What you're talking about is output SPL over a defined area.  When you know what sound level you want at what distance, then you can begin to look for the speaker system to achieve it. 

And there is no such characteristic as "throw".  Physics is physics and sound falls off at a steady rate over distance no matter what.  How coherent the sound remains over that distance is the factor.  Speakers (or speaker systems) which have very high coherency are often characterized as having more "throw, but that's intelligibility, not sound level.

The step you're wanting to take is a big one...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:23:46 pm »

Dick has broadly addressed the technical points.

What's your budget?  If it's less than 5 figures, don't try, how much more than that will determine how close you can get to achieving your goal.

500 people spread over a square mile is different than 1000 on a field.   How far is the first audience member from the speakers, how far is the farthest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:36 pm »

What are you amplifying?
Music, speech?
The normal way to do low volume long distance is with delay speakers.
This does require power and wiring (or wireless) to get to them and more speakers.
As well as a way to time delay the output.
Events. 
Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 18 queries.