ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ Approach To New Mixer  (Read 4573 times)

Philip Angell

EQ Approach To New Mixer
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »

This is a topic I was recently discussing with someone, and their answer surprised me, so I was curious about other opinions. 

If running sound for a band in various venues, you had the kick, snare, bass, vocals, etc. dialed in and sounding great at each venue and you were changing only the mixing board, I would start with the EQ settings that had already been established for the same input source, mics, speakers, venue, etc.   That would seem to be an obvious approach for me.

I've always felt that a board, excluding very low end stuff, should be fairly transparent and that 90% or so of the benefit of the board is features and functionality and build quality and maybe 10% is some sort of coloration of the sound.  The percentages are obviously subjective, but hopefully are reasonable to make my point.

This other sound professional was giving his opinion that if he changed only the board in this scenario, he would reset all the EQ's to flat and start all over again at each venue.   That the board would make such a difference that starting from the previous settings would be of absolutely no use.

In this scenario, where would people start for settings with a new board in an existing application and venue.  From the previous baseline settings or from literally scratch. 

I know there is probably no right or wrong answer, I was just surprised that he thought my method was so bad.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: EQ Approach To New Mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »

This is a topic I was recently discussing with someone, and their answer surprised me, so I was curious about other opinions. 

If running sound for a band in various venues, you had the kick, snare, bass, vocals, etc. dialed in and sounding great at each venue and you were changing only the mixing board, I would start with the EQ settings that had already been established for the same input source, mics, speakers, venue, etc.   That would seem to be an obvious approach for me.

I've always felt that a board, excluding very low end stuff, should be fairly transparent and that 90% or so of the benefit of the board is features and functionality and build quality and maybe 10% is some sort of coloration of the sound.  The percentages are obviously subjective, but hopefully are reasonable to make my point.

This other sound professional was giving his opinion that if he changed only the board in this scenario, he would reset all the EQ's to flat and start all over again at each venue.   That the board would make such a difference that starting from the previous settings would be of absolutely no use.

In this scenario, where would people start for settings with a new board in an existing application and venue.  From the previous baseline settings or from literally scratch. 

I know there is probably no right or wrong answer, I was just surprised that he thought my method was so bad.

If it's not the same brand/model of board (maybe even software rev) I would agree with him/her

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:13 PM »

If the  magic dreamy world "venue " has a professionally installed and tuned system locked out from previous BE's
(small chance of that) then I would leave the visiting console preset.
listen to some music you are familiar with to see whats up then decide.........
    But the reality is that most "venues" have barely or badly tuned mains. the start from flat on the visiting console is the way safest way to go.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:54:14 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Philip Angell

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »

Thanks.  Should have mentioned this is my own system not the venues we play.   So the question is in replacing just the board and everything else remains the same, would starting from scratch with all the previous EQ settings for that venue be a more efficient approach.

Based on Scott's answer, it appears it might be.  That's why I'm here, to learn from those who know more than me. 

Stelios Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »

It depends...
Boards are indeed very different from one another.
The width of the EQ filters change. The EQ on some boards is more sensitive than on others. Some boards have variable Q, some have constant Q. So no, I wouldn't copy EQ settings over.
Same thing goes for outboard gear; Most compressors sound very different from one another, and so do reverbs.
Unless that console is of the same family (xAir / X32 for instance) you'll most likely have to go over and re-adjust every single setting. In that case you might as well start over fresh.
Why not carry your own console if you're already carrying the PA, mics, amps, and so on?

Philip Angell

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »

Thanks, Stelio's. 

We do,have our own console.  Thinking of the benefits of a new board, versus the time savings of just being basically plug and play at most of these local venues. 

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »

Each venue will require tuning on your mains for that space.

There is no reason to change the channel strips except for slider levels.
as long as Musicians are controlling their volume using the same amps  and settings, drums etc  amps and mic placement (static set up)       

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »

Thanks, Stelio's. 

We do,have our own console.  Thinking of the benefits of a new board, versus the time savings of just being basically plug and play at most of these local venues.

I would add that dynamics change, I tend to use compressor settings to place things in the mix when a small fader mix doesn't do the trick.  I would start with your band preset for that board not the mix from the night before.  You may have made a change on the fly and forgotten about it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stelios Mac

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »

If you're already carrying your own mics, using something like an x32 rack side-stage would be no less plug & play than using the house console. In fact, you wouldn't have to copy any settings over, so it'd probably be even quicker :) .

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

A digital console will store settings for each place you gig, but there is a downside of tuning mains from the console.
   If your console has an issue during a show and you have to change it out. Your house tuning we be lost also with the trade out console.
a separate processor would be optimum
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:26:45 PM by lindsay Dean »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.