ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question for networking gurus!  (Read 5610 times)

DavidTurner

Question for networking gurus!
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »

I am updating my RF rack to Axient Digital and PSM1000s. For years I have had a 4 port WAP/Switch talking to my UR4Ds without incident. Now I need 8 ports. I am looking at adding this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Internet-Splitter-Unmanaged/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1500392908&sr=1-5&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

It purports to be plug and play so, I should just be able to plug it in and go. I would continue using my current WAP - just add this for more ports.

There will be no traffic on my network except the Shure pieces and my MacBook Air.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

DT

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Question for networking gurus!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »

Quick answer: yes, it should work fine.

Longer answer: This is a basic unmanaged network switch.  Presuming you have a single VLAN, just hook one port on this switch to one of the LAN ports on your WAP/Switch and you should be gtg. 

DavidTurner

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »

Quick answer: yes, it should work fine.

Longer answer: This is a basic unmanaged network switch.  Presuming you have a single VLAN, just hook one port on this switch to one of the LAN ports on your WAP/Switch and you should be gtg.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »

Thank you.

Yes it will work fine.  The term Internet splitter seems to be added to appeal to the unknowing.  It's a meaningless term as it's an Ethernet switch.  It has no idea if it's IP in those Ethernet frames or now.

What I would do however is get a 1U switch and mount it in the back of the rack.  Makes cable management easier.  All the RX's are homed to the switch and one port of the WAP goes to the switch too.  No congif needed.

You don't really need a gig switch so here is a rackmount:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006L4XB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_N6LBzbVFNDG8N

If you just must have gig

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AUL7A6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_h7LBzbTGRQGY8

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:29:43 PM »

I am updating my RF rack to Axient Digital and PSM1000s. For years I have had a 4 port WAP/Switch talking to my UR4Ds without incident. Now I need 8 ports. I am looking at adding this:

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Internet-Splitter-Unmanaged/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1500392908&sr=1-5&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

It purports to be plug and play so, I should just be able to plug it in and go. I would continue using my current WAP - just add this for more ports.

There will be no traffic on my network except the Shure pieces and my MacBook Air.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

DT

David,
The Axient and PSM1000 Units have two network ports per unit. So you can theoretically daisy chain all of the units together, and still use your existing network equipment. Or you could just daisy chain two units per switch port so one bad cables doesn't take them all down.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »

David,
The Axient and PSM1000 Units have two network ports per unit. So you can theoretically daisy chain all of the units together, and still use your existing network equipment. Or you could just daisy chain two units per switch port so one bad cables doesn't take them all down.

Having installed products with a similar two port switch on the back I would expect mixed results from daisy chaining the receivers. FAR better idea to do the 1 RU switch and have a dedicated line to each device. Reliability is definitely worth whatever little cost you're going to spend on a switch and a handful of patch cables.
Ryan Davis

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:40 AM »

Having installed products with a similar two port switch on the back I would expect mixed results from daisy chaining the receivers. FAR better idea to do the 1 RU switch and have a dedicated line to each device. Reliability is definitely worth whatever little cost you're going to spend on a switch and a handful of patch cables.

+100 those small switches have tiny forwarding tables and get very confused with all the upstream forwarding.  Combine in a poor Spanning Tree stack and they are a recipe for disaster.

I worked on a traffic light control system that the moron traffic engineer didn't trust the 50k Cisco SONET switch that was in the traffic cabinet (long story what for) instead he demanded a dedicated pair of fiber out of the sheath and used a media converter then daisy changed to the traffic control that had a similar two port switch.  This was done for 11 miles of traffic lights down Euclid Ave. in Cleveland.  Right through the heart of the Cleveland Clinic.  The results were predictable, every few hours a massive broadcast storm would erupt and the switches would stop forwarding.  Engineers were brought in from the vendor. They knew much about traffic signals, little about Ethernet.  It was one of the biggest shit shows of my career.  We never actually got to migrate traffic onto the SONET but we did get to put in some nice industrial switches.

If you named planes like you name boats mine would be called "change order" that was a hell of a job.

Moral of story, don't trust built in networking.

Business parable:  The barber shop had been open for 40 years when the cut rate joint opened across the street selling $5.00 haircuts.  The son says to Pop "What are we going to do, we can't lower our price".  Pop made a sign that said "we fix $5.00 haircuts"

Don't be the guy selling $5.00 haircuts,  do business with people that respect the value you bring.  If you don't bring any value up your game!

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »

Having worked with the exact products in question, I have had zero issues using the two ports in back as a switch. We aren't talking about 40 units here, and it is very low bandwidth stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »

Yes it will work fine.  The term Internet splitter seems to be added to appeal to the unknowing. 

That also caught my eye in the link.
I see lots of networking equipment, but nothing that has ever been described as an internet splitter.

Gotta love marketing departments..
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »

+100 those small switches have tiny forwarding tables and get very confused with all the upstream forwarding.  Combine in a poor Spanning Tree stack and they are a recipe for disaster.

I worked on a traffic light control system that the moron traffic engineer didn't trust the 50k Cisco SONET switch that was in the traffic cabinet (long story what for) instead he demanded a dedicated pair of fiber out of the sheath and used a media converter then daisy changed to the traffic control that had a similar two port switch.  This was done for 11 miles of traffic lights down Euclid Ave. in Cleveland.  Right through the heart of the Cleveland Clinic.  The results were predictable, every few hours a massive broadcast storm would erupt and the switches would stop forwarding.  Engineers were brought in from the vendor. They knew much about traffic signals, little about Ethernet.  It was one of the biggest shit shows of my career.  We never actually got to migrate traffic onto the SONET but we did get to put in some nice industrial switches.

If you named planes like you name boats mine would be called "change order" that was a hell of a job.

Moral of story, don't trust built in networking.

Business parable:  The barber shop had been open for 40 years when the cut rate joint opened across the street selling $5.00 haircuts.  The son says to Pop "What are we going to do, we can't lower our price".  Pop made a sign that said "we fix $5.00 haircuts"

Don't be the guy selling $5.00 haircuts,  do business with people that respect the value you bring.  If you don't bring any value up your game!

Well at least you and I are on the same page. Soooo frustrating! But hey at least you got a Cirrus out of the deal- or was it a Citation II? How big WAS the the change order? ;-)
Ryan Davis

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:24 AM »

Well at least you and I are on the same page. Soooo frustrating! But hey at least you got a Cirrus out of the deal- or was it a Citation II? How big WAS the the change order? ;-)

Cirrus is for yuppies and they no jets.  It's 78 Cessna T210 and not just one change order, just the concept that the profit is in the change orders.

Fun though.....

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Question for networking gurus!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »

A small unmanaged network switch like this will do just fine for your application. However, if you are getting Axient Digital and there is any possibility you may use the Dante network audio functionality in the future, at least a very small step up might serve you well.

Simple Dante networks don't need anything fancy in terms of switches - but you do want to be able to turn green-Ethernet off, which you can't do on most of the very cheapest switches. Just a few dollars more will get you a netgear switch that will do that. This one can disable green-Ethernet, has a few extra features you might find a use for someday like VLAN, and is still under $50.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS108T-Gigabit-GS108T-200NAS/dp/B003KP8VSK?th=1
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:16:23 AM by Samuel Rees »

DavidTurner

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »

David,

UPDATE:  I daisy chained them like you suggested. Working perfectly.

THANK YOU!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.