ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer limiting  (Read 8343 times)

TimHackford

Subwoofer limiting
« on: July 17, 2017, 05:16:55 AM »

Hey guys, would like to ask a little advice please.
My function band uses a behringer x32 digital desk and 2 RCF 732A tops and 2x 905AS subwoofers. We love the sound it's perfect for what we do we find we have plenty of volume etc, all channels are running at -18db or under which to my understanding it what a digital desk in DBFS should be running at. The kick mic uses is a Shure 91a beta and I cut around 50hz with a narrowish q about 5db. I cut at at with a very narrow Q at 80hz about 5-6db..a small cut at 200hz and a little boost of about 3.5db with a wideish Q at 3khz. And it sounds great . My compressor settings are 5.1..compressing around 4db and makeup gain is at +3db so nothing to extreme and I also gate my kick drum too.

For some reason everytime the kick is hit our subwoofer limiter light flashes..Doesn't matter if the subwoofer is running at 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock or unity gain it always flashes the limiter light. Ive tried taking the gain down ive tried taking off the compressor..I try turning down the kick but then it's pointless because nobody can hear it. What am I doing wrong here? I HPF the subs to 45hz anyway just for some protection so I'm not boosting any frequencies the subs are not designed for either.

Best regards
Tim

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Subwoofer limiting
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:48:42 AM »

Is the issue on both subs?  Does the "signal" indicator light illuminate well before the "limiter" lights up? 

Mark Amber

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »

Are you outdoors or in a very large room?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TimHackford

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »

Is the issue on both subs?  Does the "signal" indicator light illuminate well before the "limiter" lights up?

Yeah the limiter light lights up on both subs I think its well before its due but it only illuminates when the kick drum hits so it's not on continuesly..I tried running the subs on an aux from the desk and I checked the meter on the sub output and it's just about hitting -18db. I also had the bass going through but that doesn't trigger the limiter atall or the floorTom. I've tried both crossover points at 80hz and 120hz but it still activates the limiter.

TimHackford

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »

Are you outdoors or in a very large room?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's happened in both environments..outside mainly we are in wedding marquees and inside it can be any type of room it still activates the limiter all the same.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »

Realistically, you're running a pair of 15"s for bass, and the driver RCF has chosen for that box has a 3" voicecoil which is on the small side for modern subwoofers.

There is only so much air they can move.

That said, check the sub polarity. Is one of them backwards?
You'll lose a lot of bass if one is pushing and the other is pulling.

How does the system sound with music playback?

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

TimHackford

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »

Realistically, you're running a pair of 15"s for bass, and the driver RCF has chosen for that box has a 3" voicecoil which is on the small side for modern subwoofers.

There is only so much air they can move.

That said, check the sub polarity. Is one of them backwards?
You'll lose a lot of bass if one is pushing and the other is pulling.

How does the system sound with music playback?

Chris

In all honestly I wouldn't know if one was out if phase or not I've tried to phase switches on the back but never noticed a big difference is there a way to tell or something I would notice? ..with music playback from the ipad and laptop the bass is punchy and really hits you in the chest which is what we aim for at the "DJ" set volumes at the intervals. Would love to achieve that with our kick drum etc

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »

Yeah the limiter light lights up on both subs I think its well before its due but it only illuminates when the kick drum hits so it's not on continuesly..I tried running the subs on an aux from the desk and I checked the meter on the sub output and it's just about hitting -18db. I also had the bass going through but that doesn't trigger the limiter atall or the floorTom. I've tried both crossover points at 80hz and 120hz but it still activates the limiter.
So the limiter lights are illuminating... how about the "signal" light on the subs?  This light should be flashing green (or steady "on") depending on the level it is receiving.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »

The reality is that the DJ tracks playing on break are not even close, dynamically, to live music.  Neither are mastered recordings of rock and roll.

The live kick drum has a much higher peak-to-average ratio than anything commercially released and until you get its dynamics under control as part of the mixing process, I think you'll learn to embrace the limiter light.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TimHackford

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »

So the limiter lights are illuminating... how about the "signal" light on the subs?  This light should be flashing green (or steady "on") depending on the level it is receiving.

No problem with the signal light it's always lit up green as far as I'm aware whenever audio passes through the desk.
The reality is that the DJ tracks playing on break are not even close, dynamically, to live music.  Neither are mastered recordings of rock and roll.

The live kick drum has a much higher peak-to-average ratio than anything commercially released and until you get its dynamics under control as part of the mixing process, I think you'll learn to embrace the limiter light.

So with the limiter light flashing everytime the kickdrum is hit how far away am I from.ripping my sub to pieces or blowing my amp?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.