ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer limiting  (Read 8238 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Subwoofer limiting
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »

Can't hear anything distorting or clipping sounds nice a clear to be honest i just didn't expect to be activating the limiter at a relatively low volume..I'd be able to understand more if it was ran hotter but it's not..
If nothing is clipping on the mixer side before the sub on the kick and the sub is limiting and you feel you need more output the fix is quite simple.
Add more subs of the same model or replace with two subs that will give you more output.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »

Everybody seems to think the subs are too small, and maybe they are;  but I use smaller subs with comparable specs  or lower specs than these on a regular basis for small outdoor events and still get chest thumping kick drum with no limit lights. 

If the OP is trying to fill a big outdoor space or produce loud volumes inside, I get it, but he has stated this happens even at low volumes and at all types of venues.

"Low volume" is a  subjective term for sure, but something just doesn't seem right here. Maybe I am just not familiar emough with RCF gear, but we're not talking about a Seismic Audio quality sub here, right? This is at least a lounge level piece of gear isn't it?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 03:08:57 PM »

Everybody seems to think the subs are too small, and maybe they are;  but I use smaller subs with comparable specs  or lower specs than these on a regular basis for small outdoor events and still get chest thumping kick drum with no limit lights. 

If the OP is trying to fill a big outdoor space or produce loud volumes inside, I get it, but he has stated this happens even at low volumes and at all types of venues.

"Low volume" is a  subjective term for sure, but something just doesn't seem right here. Maybe I am just not familiar emough with RCF gear, but we're not talking about a Seismic Audio quality sub here, right? This is at least a lounge level piece of gear isn't it?

Exactly... something doesn't appear to be quite right.  I'm sort of leaning toward (possibly), that the limiter light may be prematurely turning on (i.e the light is set too sensitive - if that is even possible).

Roland Clarke

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »

Ultimately it really depends on at what point the limiters are set.  The JBL srx range, apparently have the limiters set at -20, in this case running into the limiter isn't a problem, it may well be the same for you.  I would be guided by listening if you are getting an audible problem.  Most modern subs (particularly MI market) are so heavily protected, short of sending a distorted signal into them, they should take some serious punishment before they give out.  Manufacturers are risk adverse and with the length of warranties being offered these days they are particularly careful to avoid anything that could cause high levels of warranted repairs. My 2c worth! 😉

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:40:14 PM »

From the owners manual of your subwoofer:

"LIMITER LED
The amplifier has a built in limiter circuit to prevent clipping of the amplifiers or overdriving the transducers. When the soft clipping circuit is active the LED blinks orange. It is okay if the limit LED blinks occasionally. If the LED blinks frequently or lights continuously, turn down the signal level."

And a little later in the manual:

"ART Series active speakers are equipped with a complete system of protection circuits. Two led on the amplifier back panel indicate the working status of the amplifier: the green led indicate that the speaker is ON and the red led is on when the protection circuit is active. The circuit is acting very gently on audio signal, controlling level and maintaining distortion at acceptable level. If this led is ON for a long period is better to reduce immediately the signal level from the mixer or from the speaker volume control."

They (RCF) describe the protection as both a fast limiter and an RMS limiter.  I was hoping to find a mention of the threshold at which the limiter engaged but no such luck. 

However, from the write-up above I tend to join those saying your extremely dynamic live kick signal is simply triggering the "fast limiter" to protect it from either clipping the amplifier or over-excursion (or both, I don't work for RCF).  It doesn't do this using pre-recorded tracks due to the lower average to peak ratio of the content. 

Shorten that compressor attack time as was already mentioned and see what happens.  You might be able to get a little more oomph from it with some careful tweaking but likely not much more since you're already triggering the protection.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »

Awe, that's cheating, reading the manual /laf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.