ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AES splitters  (Read 7707 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
AES splitters
« on: July 16, 2017, 01:20:58 AM »

If you are splitting an AES signal what are you using in the way of a splitter.

My application would be splitting the AES out of my Allen Heath QU so I can feed two DBX Venue 360's. Cable runs are short, maybe 10 feet at the most and using 110 ohm cable.
It's working great into a single 360.

Thanks
Mike C.

MikeHarris

Re: AES splitters
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:16 AM »

I was unaware you could split AES...usually recommend a AES distribution amp but it appears Whirlwind has a passive box to do just that.
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/splitters-boxes/aes-sp1x2

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:30 AM »

I was unaware you could split AES...usually recommend a AES distribution amp but it appears Whirlwind has a passive box to do just that.
http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/splitters-boxes/aes-sp1x2

IIRC you can split AES with a transformer just like Whirlwind has done.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »

If you are splitting an AES signal what are you using in the way of a splitter.

My application would be splitting the AES out of my Allen Heath QU so I can feed two DBX Venue 360's. Cable runs are short, maybe 10 feet at the most and using 110 ohm cable.
It's working great into a single 360.

Thanks
Mike C.

We have used Energy Transfer Systems (ETS) PA 830 for some very high profile recording applications where we have not experienced any problems (1 Grammy, another nomination).

We also use the RB-AES4X3 Quad 3 Way AES/EBU Splitter in large stadium applications (NFL) with no issues as long as you maintain the maximum overall cable length as laid out in the manual. 

I have not utilized others but a good transformer split should do what you are looking for.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »

These work...

http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=SES-AES-EBU-Y-6&SES-AES-EBU-Y-6

I have used the same thing on a couple of Lake Contour's ... simple and cheap.  I suspect you don't even need the transformer just a "Y" if the processor's are located in the same rack and the cable runs are not too long.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:17:55 AM by Peter Morris »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »

Thanks for the info, I had already looked into the Whirlwind and Sescom pieces, I'll check out the other mentioned splitters as well.

Mike C.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »

I have used the same thing on a couple of Lake Contour's ... simple and cheap.  I suspect you don't even need the transformer just a "Y" if the processor's are located in the same rack and the cable runs are not too long.

That may work, but AES digital audio is very high frequency so operates more as a transmission line, which is susceptible to impedance mismatches and their inherent reflections much more than baseband audio.

Mac

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

That may work, but AES digital audio is very high frequency so operates more as a transmission line, which is susceptible to impedance mismatches and their inherent reflections much more than baseband audio.

Mac

Yes absolutely - when the cable run is short the dominant impedance becomes the terminating resistance in the receiver, in my case the Lake.  Its my understanding that Lake have made this switchable so the terminating impedance can be switched off allowing cascading of devices with the last device in the chain having the terminating impedance switched on.

As I understand the original AES/EBU specification (AES3-1985) called for a single transmitter to drive up to three receivers, but it was problematic and changed in 1992 to advise that a single transmitter should drive only a single receiver  .... so I think in simple situations it may work, it only has to go 10ft in this case.

I have on occasions with the Lake accidentally left both terminations switched on, and it worked .... BUT ... the cable runs were short and I may have just been lucky  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:37:56 AM by Peter Morris »

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Not trying to say anything other than it appears to work at 48kHz with some boxes I've been playing with.....
Two 6 inch Y cables, cascaded to make a 1 to 3 split....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.