ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heil PR35 vs Heil PR35  (Read 4703 times)

Robert Lunceford

Heil PR35 vs Heil PR35
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »

Does anyone else have both the original version and the new version of the Heil PR35?
I prefer the original version with the roll-off switch in the middle position.
I am wondering what other people's preferences are between the two versions.

I seem to recall reading that it was a rodeo bull that was responsible for the change in design.

John J.R. Bogle

Re: Heil PR35 vs Heil PR35
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »

Does anyone else have both the original version and the new version of the Heil PR35?
I prefer the original version with the roll-off switch in the middle position.
I am wondering what other people's preferences are between the two versions.

I seem to recall reading that it was a rodeo bull that was responsible for the change in design.
I didn't realize they had been redesigned. Thanks for the heads up. I only own one but would like to buy a few more in the future (pretty expensive vocal mics but I love them (at lease on my voice)). I have the original and I agree, they sound & react wonderfully with the HPF set to the middle position. That's quite a different shape (rear venting and all) so I'd guess they sound quite a bit different. As a rule Heil makes solid products. I hope they didn't ruin an excellent product. Maybe I should look for some of the early designs soon before they become rare.

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:28:45 PM »

I didn't realize they had been redesigned. Thanks for the heads up. I only own one but would like to buy a few more in the future (pretty expensive vocal mics but I love them (at lease on my voice)). I have the original and I agree, they sound & react wonderfully with the HPF set to the middle position. That's quite a different shape (rear venting and all) so I'd guess they sound quite a bit different. As a rule Heil makes solid products. I hope they didn't ruin an excellent product. Maybe I should look for some of the early designs soon before they become rare.
A big deal...I think...was making them fit in a normal mic clip.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:22 AM »

I have 4 new and 6 old plus 1 old with a switch for talkback.

Sonically they are very close, with a possibly smoother response on the new.  If anything, it's very slight.

Yes, the hi pass filters on the new ones are too aggressive and I don't use them.  On the old I too used them in the middle setting.

The suspension mounts had a tendency to break on the old ones but I haven't had to send in one of the new ones.  I got them right when they came out, so it's been a couple of years.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »

Yes, the hi pass filters on the new ones are too aggressive and I don't use them.  On the old I too used them in the middle setting.

Slight topic swerve:

I only have 1 new one, which I bought for testing against the Telefunken M80.  Even with HPF set higher than the M80, the PR35 seems to exhibit a lot of handling noise.  Has anyone else observed this?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »

I have 4 new and 6 old plus 1 old with a switch for talkback.

Sonically they are very close, with a possibly smoother response on the new.  If anything, it's very slight.

The suspension mounts had a tendency to break on the old ones but I haven't had to send in one of the new ones.  I got them right when they came out, so it's been a couple of years.

Correct on all statements, and in particular the suspension mounts. I own one or two of Bob's prototypes which are still working as good as they did the day they were sent to me. The problem is the "O" rings used for the suspension of the capsule tend to break with age. You can buy the "O" rings at a hardware store and replace them yourself if you need to.

The mic, like most mikes, is tuned through the porting and vents to the back of the capsule. For grins and giggles cover one vent with some black gaffers tape and hear what happens.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »

The mic, like most mikes, is tuned through the porting and vents to the back of the capsule. For grins and giggles cover one vent with some black gaffers tape and hear what happens.

Why does it have to be Black gaff tape? If I use yellow or white tape will it sound different?
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Bill McKelvey

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »

Why does it have to be Black gaff tape? If I use yellow or white tape will it sound different?
Of course! It will color the sound.   ;D

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 06:05:08 PM »

Slight topic swerve:

I only have 1 new one, which I bought for testing against the Telefunken M80.  Even with HPF set higher than the M80, the PR35 seems to exhibit a lot of handling noise.  Has anyone else observed this?

Dave

Yes They pretty much suck when it comes to handling noise. I'm a singing drummer so they stay in the stand. Conversely I first became acquainted with them when doing monitors for Colin Hay. They stayed in the stand for his show as well. Currently being a roadie for 38 Special and the same is true (they don't leave the stand :). But they sound so natural & great :) :) :).

I have a few mics that use a larger clip than the Shure standard 57/58 stand holder. I found a source for aftermarket rubberized, oversized clips (they'll fit a wireless mic in a pinch). They're like $4 each so I bought several spares :)

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »

I use the Wind Tech shock proof mic clips.  SP-30 with the old PR-35 and SP-25 with the new ones.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.