ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Chrome stands to Black?  (Read 3605 times)

scottstephens

Chrome stands to Black?
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »

Hey all, 

I have a few decade old Tama chrome stands that are in really good shape and I would like to spray paint them and make them black.  What's the best way to do this?
 Sand off the chrome and paint away? Or is it even possible do this without wasting my time? I figure spray paint is a lot cheaper than new stands!!

Thanks for helping as always, this mechanically inept audio guy.

Scott

Steve Garris

Re: Chrome stands to Black?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:25:34 PM »

Hey all, 

I have a few decade old Tama chrome stands that are in really good shape and I would like to spray paint them and make them black.  What's the best way to do this?
 Sand off the chrome and paint away? Or is it even possible do this without wasting my time? I figure spray paint is a lot cheaper than new stands!!

Scott

They'll look worse as the paint starts to flake off the chrome (soon). You'll spend more time than it's worth trying to sand them down. I would keep them chrome, or replace them with black stands.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »

Chrome is a pretty hard material. The only time-efficient way I know of to deal with prepping a chrome surface for paint is abrasive (sand) blasting.  You could ask a local powder-coating shop for a price quote; powder-coating is going to be much more durable than rattle-can paint. If you have a few done at the same time, the unit cost might be cheaper than you think.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »

Chrome is a pretty hard material. The only time-efficient way I know of to deal with prepping a chrome surface for paint is abrasive (sand) blasting.  You could ask a local powder-coating shop for a price quote; powder-coating is going to be much more durable than rattle-can paint. If you have a few done at the same time, the unit cost might be cheaper than you think.

I agree that abrasive blasting is the best prep, assuming the chrome is in good shape and not peeling.

Powder coat can be tough if properly applied, but paint (Polane, for example) can be pretty tough too, and is easier to touch up.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Rick Powell

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »

I agree that abrasive blasting is the best prep, assuming the chrome is in good shape and not peeling.

Powder coat can be tough if properly applied, but paint (Polane, for example) can be pretty tough too, and is easier to touch up.

--Frank

I dunno. With the folding up and down of mic stands, I would trust a powder coat finish a lot more than paint, unless it was whatever K&M uses to coat their stands, and I'd suspect theirs is some kind of baked or epoxy finish.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »

Hey all, 

Scott

I had an Atlas stand that I wanted to paint black, so I spray painted it.  It looked great.  Then I changed my mind.  I could not get the paint off.  Your mileage may vary.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 11:52:25 PM »

IME powder coat has a tendency to flake off.  Surface prep is everything.  Without an solvent to promote wetting and adhesion any little thing can cause the powder coat to flake off.  I suspect trying to paint over chrome, even with the shine sanded off, would work better with liquid paint rather than powder coat.

Powder coating was developed to maximize material utilization and avoid solvent emissions in commercial paint shops.  The end result is not necessarily better.  Just cheaper for mass production.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 01:54:29 AM »

IME powder coat has a tendency to flake off.  Surface prep is everything.  Without an solvent to promote wetting and adhesion any little thing can cause the powder coat to flake off.  I suspect trying to paint over chrome, even with the shine sanded off, would work better with liquid paint rather than powder coat.

Powder coating was developed to maximize material utilization and avoid solvent emissions in commercial paint shops.  The end result is not necessarily better.  Just cheaper for mass production.

Yes. The problem I've had with the usual polyester powder coat from the neighborhood powder coat place is pinholes that cause problems when the purpose is corrosion prevention on outdoor steel. I get better results in that application with just hardware store Rustoleum (alkyd enamel). The enamel is admittedly less rugged than the polyester, but it forms a better continuous film and may have some corrosion inhibitors. Of course there are many kinds of powder coatings and paints, and subtleties in applying either. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 11:03:37 AM »

I have spray painted many chrome motorcycle parts black with over the counter spray cans and have never had any issues with the paint coming off later.   The only prep I  do is light sanding  the chrome  with  220 grit (or higher) sandpaper to remove the gloss and then a good cleaning with prep solvent specifically made for automotive painting.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »

I had an old Blazer with crome bumpers I painted black using RustOleum flat black. I could bash through the woods, push cars, hit wall, etc. and the paint never came off.

No special prep required, just make sure the surface is clean. Windex works good for this.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 08:40:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 23 queries.