ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I have enough horsepower?  (Read 7542 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Do I have enough horsepower?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »

Tim, to answer your question, the SB600i I picked up are slightly offset in the box, top driver is hard right, bottom driver is hard left inside the cab.

That sounds like the SB600z looks... more weight, 3dB more output.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »

That sounds like the SB600z looks... more weight, 3dB more output.

Interestingly enough, it almost appears that the shell is made of Fiberglass on my SB600i.. Tim do you know if that's normal? it does have a slightly different look/feel that the KF650 boxes.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Interestingly enough, it almost appears that the shell is made of Fiberglass on my SB600i.. Tim do you know if that's normal? it does have a slightly different look/feel that the KF650 boxes.

I don't immediately find a data sheet for the "i" version on EAW's site but I can confirm I'm wrong about the model similarity.  It's the "e" version that has the offset cones. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:59 PM »

It might be covered in a fiberglass coating. This is what EAW did to its weatherized version of the boxes.
If the drivers in the SB600i's are offset they are identical to the "e" version. The cabinets should also be the same depth as the KF650e. The SB600Z cabinet is deeper and has a slightly rounded front.

The UX3600 is a great option. It connects via USB which I find easier to use as well.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »

SB600(I). The I stands for "install".  These were meant to be flown somewhere, possibly outdoors so that pigeons can make a roost and shit all over them. That's what the fiberglass shell is for. It would also probably have had a special grill that repelled water and coated cones to make them water resistant. You can still use them just like the touring version.

Also, I probably wouldn't sell the SB600's but I wouldn't use them that much either. Since you have front loaded dual 18's you can make a fine rig out the 650/218 stack as is. The SB600's would just be hard to stack and take up space in the truck.

Now they could be used for Sidefills or Texas Headphones, if you have need of that, OR find a pair KF300's and have a really cool mini system, OR maybe for "Max Effort", you stack the 650's and 600's on scaffold and center cluster all your dual 18's. This would maximize the amount of noise you could make, and it would sound better too. The XO freq could be lowered enough to move the subs further away, since you have effectively doubled your 15" passband, which is exactly what the SB600 is for.

I wholeheartedly agree on the need for UX processing. I'd buy that before new amps for sure.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 06:18:04 PM »

SB600(I). The I stands for "install".  These were meant to be flown somewhere, possibly outdoors so that pigeons can make a roost and shit all over them. That's what the fiberglass shell is for. It would also probably have had a special grill that repelled water and coated cones to make them water resistant. You can still use them just like the touring version.

Also, I probably wouldn't sell the SB600's but I wouldn't use them that much either. Since you have front loaded dual 18's you can make a fine rig out the 650/218 stack as is. The SB600's would just be hard to stack and take up space in the truck.

Now they could be used for Sidefills or Texas Headphones, if you have need of that, OR find a pair KF300's and have a really cool mini system, OR maybe for "Max Effort", you stack the 650's and 600's on scaffold and center cluster all your dual 18's. This would maximize the amount of noise you could make, and it would sound better too. The XO freq could be lowered enough to move the subs further away, since you have effectively doubled your 15" passband, which is exactly what the SB600 is for.

I wholeheartedly agree on the need for UX processing. I'd buy that before new amps for sure.

"Now they could be used for Sidefills or Texas Headphones, if you have need of that, OR find a pair KF300's and have a really cool mini system"
Tim, it's funny you said that. I just got off that phone with the same guy who sold me all this and he does have a pair of KF300's that he is also getting rid of, so I'm heading to So-Cal tomorrow after work to meet with the guy and see what else he doesn't want and run out of there like a bat outta hell before he too realizes what I'm stealing from him. :)

Again, thank you for the helpful info everyone. I am currently placing the UX processor as a top priority before picking up high wattage amps. I too am convinced that it will make a substantial difference running the correct processor for these cabs.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »

If you have the money for it, buy a Powersoft X8 and load the KF650e Greybox in the amp. Sounds amazing.

KF650e and Isr are identical IIRC apart from the flyware. Don't know about the "I" version.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:00 PM »

Any z model is a vast upgrade over its predecessors, even without UX.
Add UX and it's still a quite capable rig.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »

Any z model is a vast upgrade over its predecessors, even without UX.
Add UX and it's still a quite capable rig.

Exactly.. My Xilica does a fine job on the 650z..

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »

Exactly.. My Xilica does a fine job on the 650z..

Great news. Apparently the guy who was selling all the EAW gear I picked up also had a UX3600 in a box stored away that was never used!! He said they ended up using a Driverack when they had the club. We plugged it in and it peered up just fine.

I originally picked up the 4 KF650 and 2 SB600, then this weekend I just picked up the 3 KF300 and the UX3600... I don't know if this guy knew what he had but sure glad I was able to grab it all for the smokin' price I paid. Well worth the drive to So-Cal. You wouldn't believe what I paid for all of this... It was tough to hold a poker face but man was I giddy inside. lol

Too bad he didn't have any power amps to sell, so the quest continues for more horsepower for this newly acquired gear. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 25 queries.