ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: powered speakers/condenser mics  (Read 13388 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: powered speakers/condenser mics
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:04 PM »

.  I personally hate Beta 58s other than fixed on a stand in front of a drummer.  If someone tips it so the back if pointed at a wedge is squeals like a stuck pig. 

...as you would expect any hyper-or super-cardioid mic to do.

You know, of course, that there's a rather hefty sensitive lobe on these patterns at 180 degrees.  Placing a monitor directly on axis with these patterned mics is simply OE.

As Archie Campbell might say, "Well, if it hurts when you do that, STOP DOING IT!".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 01:02:26 AM »

...as you would expect any hyper-or super-cardioid mic to do.

You know, of course, that there's a rather hefty sensitive lobe on these patterns at 180 degrees.  Placing a monitor directly on axis with these patterned mics is simply OE.

As Archie Campbell might say, "Well, if it hurts when you do that, STOP DOING IT!".
But for some reason, the B58 is the worst at this.  Compared to other super-cardioid mics like the aforementioned EV.  Haven't studied the polars but I suspect there's a stronger 180 lobe somewhere in that 5-8k presence peak.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »

But for some reason, the B58 is the worst at this.  Compared to other super-cardioid mics like the aforementioned EV.  Haven't studied the polars but I suspect there's a stronger 180 lobe somewhere in that 5-8k presence peak.

Look at the polars for the AKG C535, specifically around 8kHz.  It's within 10dB of being omni there but 4kHz and below it's more classically cardioid.

Mics with reasonable consistent polar patterns are generally easier to work with, live, than mics with peaky polars.  Sometimes you can use these to your advantage but many times they work against you - what makes the difference is knowing the mic.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »

Scott, it may be that the condensors you've used don't have the most even off axis response.  I personally hate Beta 58s other than fixed on a stand in front of a drummer.  If someone tips it so the back if pointed at a wedge is squeals like a stuck pig.  Add in the improved HF response of most condensors along with odd lobes and who knows what will happen.
I also happen to like the EV mics.  I have one ND357 (no longer made) that has outstanding feedback rejection and is really smooth.  Great for it's intended purpose of female singers with bright voices.
Possibly so (and I also have a lone 357 which has been relegated to basement karaoke parties now ;) ).

As you stated, the Beta 58 has the same polar pattern as the ND767a but has a vastly different resistance to feedback.

You could be correct with your "off-axis-response" theory.

The speakers seem to have a more pronounced effect on feedback IME.  Great microphones paired up with crap speakers still results in a hoard of feedback issues.  Great speakers will work well with any of the the microphones mentioned here ... some with better feedback control than others, but still, far out into the "usable" range.

My original recommendation is still the same.  The OP should upgrade his FOH tops.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »

As you stated, the Beta 58 has the same polar pattern as the ND767a but has a vastly different resistance to feedback.

Two of a kind:

Neighboring farmers were having a problem with their horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up.  They decided to shave the mane of one horse so they could tell them apart, but it kept growing back.  They tried the same with the tail.  Same result.  So they dcided to measure them. 

That's when they found out the white one was six inches taller than the black one...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:41:57 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Two of a kind:

Neighboring farmers were having a problem with their horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up.  They decided to shave the main of one horse so they could tell them apart, but it kept growing back.  They tried the same with the tail.  Same result.  So they dcided to measure them. 

That's when they found out the white one was six inches taller than the black one...

;D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

Two of a kind:

Neighboring farmers were having a problem with their horses breaking through the fence and getting mixed up.  They decided to shave the mane of one horse so they could tell them apart, but it kept growing back.  They tried the same with the tail.  Same result.  So they dcided to measure them. 

LOL.  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.