ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: powered speakers/condenser mics  (Read 3023 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: powered speakers/condenser mics
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 05:19:38 pm »

Nobody has said it directly, but you won't get feedback from a recorder source.  Feedback is a loop from mic to speaker to mic to speaker . . . . .
Get a pair of Yamaha DXR 8s or 10s and your sound quality and volume will increase manyfold, as well as your resistance to feedback.
Events. 
Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Scott (Abrahamson)

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 05:44:03 pm »

The first thing I would do is lose the Xenyx mixer and get an Xair  mixer and tablet so you actually have some tools to do corrective actions.

There are great videos on using the X series RTA and parametric eq for solving just these kinds of issues.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, then the speakers are the problem.

Hanno Meingast

powered speakers/condenser mics
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 05:50:24 pm »

Try using just one mic, the old fashioned way
And play louder! Or closer to the mic, or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.    Hanno
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:52:29 pm by Hanno Meingast »

dick rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »

Speakers rated for max output of 118dB, meaning usable live sound output of not much over 100dB.  That's not going to get anywhere outdoors.  Heck, a brisk wind blowing towards them and you won't hear much at all.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 08:12:47 pm »

While I disagree with those that say condensers do not (in general) produce feedback easier than Dynamics, I completely agree that in your case, the best cure you could have would be to replace your mains.

Considering your current mains, I suspect that your price range would be in the realm of the Alto TS212's which are quite affordable, and actually sound quite good for the money.

Those that suggested the DXR's are correct; however, those speakers are more than double the price of the Altos.

The Harbingers are really sub standard speakers.  You will be shocked and amazed at the improvements the Altos make.

Mal Brown

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:51 pm »

While I agree that the Harbingers aren't my cup of tea, I fail to see how replacing them with louder speakers -albeit better would ding is going to help with feed back.  Seems to me that might actually exacerbate the problem...  get the eq and placement right, accept the volume limitations that accompany using a traditional bluegrass mic setup - or drop the trad setup for on board pickups and dynamic vocal mic's where feed back is less an issue...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:48:40 am by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:42 am »

While I agree that the Harbingers aren't my cup or teat, I fail to see how replacing them with louder speakers -albeit better would ding is going to help with feed back.  Seems to me that might actually exacerbate the problem...  get the eq and placement right, accept the volume limitations that accompany using a traditional bluegrass mic setup - or drop the trad setup for on board pickups and dynamic vocal mic's where feed back is less an issue...
The issue with cheap speakers is that the frequency response, and in particular the frequency response off axis, is all over the place.  So you have all these peaks getting back to the microphone causing feedback.  Including various reflections.  A good even speaker is much easier to get more level out of without taking off.

Mal Brown

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 12:52:14 am »

Regardless of the speaker or space or mic's - you still have to ring it out... so lumpy frequency response or not... the responsibility lays with the operator.   Better speaks might be easier...  but easier isn't necessarily what we all sign up for...
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Chris Grimshaw

• Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 03:27:55 am »

Speakers rated for max output of 118dB, meaning usable live sound output of not much over 100dB.  That's not going to get anywhere outdoors.  Heck, a brisk wind blowing towards them and you won't hear much at all.

118dB sounds like an honest rating, actually. Not the 136dB from a single 10" that some manufacturers claim...

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

dick rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:09 am »

118dB sounds like an honest rating, actually. Not the 136dB from a single 10" that some manufacturers claim...

Chris

Honest SPL ratings?  Really?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 18 queries.