ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for MPC users  (Read 6499 times)

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Questions for MPC users
« on: July 13, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »

Hi All:

I have been a D-Pro user for several years and am contemplating switching to a more professional level software. I can go into the reasons why I want to switch if anyone is interested, but not really relevant to my questions (in the interests of keeping this brief). I am not using a hardware console at this time but if I am going to spend the time learning new software, I'd like for it to be something I will not grow out of.

My typical use case is this: There is a pre-programmed cue list for each song a band plays. Most of the cues in each list are triggered by a midi signal from a pedal (others are time-based). Only two midi signals are used: One to advance cues within a cue list and one to advance to the next cue list. This allows the band to control their cues from the stage with software running back-stage.

Second use case: Cuelists are prepared to sync to prerecorded tracks (this is used for dance shows). All cues timed to the track for automatic playback.

So, the question is can MPC work in these ways? I have looked at MagicQ, but seems like MIDI is locked out without an expensive piece of hardware.

I have spent some time searching on this and watching some tutorial videos. Would love to hear from some users to avoid spending the time installing/learning just to find out it will not meet my needs. Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Questions for MPC users
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:02 PM »

Hi All:

I have been a D-Pro user for several years and am contemplating switching to a more professional level software. I can go into the reasons why I want to switch if anyone is interested, but not really relevant to my questions (in the interests of keeping this brief). I am not using a hardware console at this time but if I am going to spend the time learning new software, I'd like for it to be something I will not grow out of.

My typical use case is this: There is a pre-programmed cue list for each song a band plays. Most of the cues in each list are triggered by a midi signal from a pedal (others are time-based). Only two midi signals are used: One to advance cues within a cue list and one to advance to the next cue list. This allows the band to control their cues from the stage with software running back-stage.

Second use case: Cuelists are prepared to sync to prerecorded tracks (this is used for dance shows). All cues timed to the track for automatic playback.

So, the question is can MPC work in these ways? I have looked at MagicQ, but seems like MIDI is locked out without an expensive piece of hardware.

I have spent some time searching on this and watching some tutorial videos. Would love to hear from some users to avoid spending the time installing/learning just to find out it will not meet my needs. Thanks!
Brian, M-PC has significant timecode functionality, and combined with MPCTools can do lots of stuff with MIDI controllers.  As the software is free, other than offering a high level "probably" that it will do what you want, your next step is to put some time into it and evaluate it for your needs.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
Questions for MPC users
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:29:41 PM »

Tom, thanks! MPCTools looks to be a great tool for my application. I will have to spend some time with this now. Looks like MPC is being used regularly on tablet PCs. I have a surface 3 (not pro) I would like to use. Hopefully it is sufficient!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Barker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »

I believe MPC will also do what you ask but for the best direct answer to your question go to the Martin M-Series user group on facebook and you will probably get an answer from the Martin guys in a matter of minutes.  They are on there constantly and are very useful.

I have seen many questions and answers about controlling with midi and midi controllers.  I don't do anything with midi but they certainly seem to be used.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
Questions for MPC users
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:25:30 PM »

Started working with it yesterday and it's been a bit slow going so far. The problem is they just updated the layout editing this spring and all the tutorials came before that, so I'm having a hard time grasping the basic workflows. Looks like I'm going to have to open the manual :P

From what I've seen it should meet my needs, I just need to get accustomed to it and then deal with the MIDI connectivity. I don't anticipate needing to attach any kind of wing hardware any time soon.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:27:40 PM by BrianHenry »

Graham Spice

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »

All the M-Series tutorials were recently updated to reflect the changes in the interface:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinController

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 02:37:49 AM »

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did get through the learning curve and am now fairly comfortable with the way it works. I am now integrating MPC Tools to see if I can get the stage workflow to where I need it. At this point I'm pretty confident MPC will work for me...

Graham Spice

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »

Nice! I have also learned a lot from Zyper's tutorials - check them out if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua937W94Yo8&list=PLcu5WrJoCcr3EbD4PcasTzNWM1P6oBxuL

If you ever get into busking shows, there are a bunch of links here:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,159866.msg1468657.html

I think that M-PC is a really good bargain for someone wanting to get into pro-level DMX software. Post a picture of your setup when you get it up and running!

Thanks, I'll check it out. I did get through the learning curve and am now fairly comfortable with the way it works. I am now integrating MPC Tools to see if I can get the stage workflow to where I need it. At this point I'm pretty confident MPC will work for me...

Brian_Henry

• NJ
Questions for MPC users
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »

Thanks Graham. Actually Zyper's second video is really what helped me get going w MPC. Still need to watch the third.

I agree the software is amazingly powerful and yet not terribly difficult to understand once one understands how they operate. This is the first pro level lighting controller I have worked with.

I'll get some pics next time it's set up on stage.

Dave Barker

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

For those of you using MPC or looking at it.  There just came out with a batch of new video's on the newest release setup.  Maybe these will help some.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinController/playlists?shelf_id=21&sort=dd&view=50&app=desktop

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.