ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: remodeling a 950 cap venue. looking into options for covering the stage  (Read 4614 times)

chris johnson

if there is a better place for this, please delete or move. trying to figure out what to cover our stage in after we are done remodeling. currently we have carpet on there. a friend was telling me about this adaptive rubber stuff. i was hoping to see if anyone out there has pros and cons on what they cover a stage in. carpet is cheap and has worked well i think. other venues around here do not have carpet. here and there we need to be able to have people walking around on stage barefoot and stuff like that. large dj productions and what not will also be on here. thoughts? concerns? things im not thinking of? thanks for your time in advance.

Stephen Kirby

A hard poly finish will be easier to keep clean.  Carpets absorb liquids, stains and odors.  It depends on how reflective the rest of the stage is.  Carpets are more comfortable and damp some HF.  They also are kind of essential where the drums go.

If it was my venue I'd have a polyurethane dance floor finish with some rubber backed indoor/outdoor carpet for where the drums go and some pieces that can be put on the stage for folks with pedal boards or who request it.  Home Depot sells a black rubber backed carpet that I have some pieces of for a drum rug and as covering the drum riser I built.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA

if there is a better place for this, please delete or move. trying to figure out what to cover our stage in after we are done remodeling. currently we have carpet on there. a friend was telling me about this adaptive rubber stuff. i was hoping to see if anyone out there has pros and cons on what they cover a stage in. carpet is cheap and has worked well i think. other venues around here do not have carpet. here and there we need to be able to have people walking around on stage barefoot and stuff like that. large dj productions and what not will also be on here. thoughts? concerns? things im not thinking of? thanks for your time in advance.
I would think casters on heavy gear sliding across it would tear the heck out of the carpet.  Plus all the reasons also stated in the other post.  I do not think carpet is a good idea.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Gaffer tape will pull up some urethane finishes.  Painting a wood floor?  You'll be doing it once a year if you care about what it looks like.  Carpet?  Stains/odors/snags.

Pick your poison, they all represent some work to keep nice.

The last place I noticed with a new stage deck opted for medium gold strip oak floor.  It doesn't get treated particularly well (some Jackyl chain saw gashes) but it's holding up well.  This room hosts lots of non-concert events so a painted black deck was out.  They previously had carpet.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA

Like Tim says, a hardwood floor works well. Also true what he says about paint and gaff tape. Add touch-ups a couple times a season to annual repainting. Taping down Marley dance floor for a week or two will pull up big stripes of paint for certain. (Don't ask how I know.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

Check out polyonyx

http://polyonyx.net/

We have it one of our spaces and I'm quite happy with it.   It survives gaff much better than Masonite or a finished wood poly floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage

Tongue and groove maple is what we have on our main stage.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA

I have cheap (Home Depot) carpet on my portable stage.
When it gets yucky, I just replace it.
Depending on how big your stage is, that could work.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I have cheap (Home Depot) carpet on my portable stage.
When it gets yucky, I just replace it.
Depending on how big your stage is, that could work.

In a place of public assembly the floor covering must meet flammability specifications - flame spread, fuel contribution, smoke density, etc.  Almost no residential flooring products are tested/rated in this regard beyond meeting minimum FHA requirements that have little to do with fire safety.

Carpet and flooring products for installation in commercial/public places are a more expensive item partly due to the specification of the goods and whatever fire rating it has to achieve.  I'm not sure about outdoor use on portable stages but think that in many jurisdictions the stage might be considered a public assembly occupancy.  You might want to check with your local fire marshal, Dave.

Tim "flooring guy, last century" Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Gaffer tape will pull up some urethane finishes.  Painting a wood floor?  You'll be doing it once a year if you care about what it looks like.  Carpet?  Stains/odors/snags.

Pick your poison, they all represent some work to keep nice.

The last place I noticed with a new stage deck opted for medium gold strip oak floor.  It doesn't get treated particularly well (some Jackyl chain saw gashes) but it's holding up well.  This room hosts lots of non-concert events so a painted black deck was out.  They previously had carpet.

Spike tape will pull up some urethane.  At Powell Hall here in STL, the stage gets a rough sand then a urethane coat each year.  I'm not sure what they use.

Ron Bolte probably knows.

Ron?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.