Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Getting audio from a mixer into a phone

(1/4) > >>

Mark Schneider:
I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

Mike Caldwell:
It is possible, you need a TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) plug wired to the correct pin outs to use the external mic input, then you will need to pad the signal level down coming from the mixers aux output.
I did it with an iPhone, taking a feed from my mixer to send audio to the phone that was streaming the event on Facebook Live.
You can find the pinouts for the headphone jack on line and make the cable or buy an off the shelf adapter.

Magnus Högkvist:

--- Quote from: Mark Schneider on July 11, 2017, 05:14:53 PM ---I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

--- End quote ---

From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.

LonnieBedell:

--- Quote from: Mark Schneider on July 11, 2017, 05:14:53 PM ---I am trying to find a way to take an Aux output from a mixer, and input it into an Android phone (Galaxy S5), so that I can record a video on the phone, while using the audio from the mixer output.  The aux comes out at line output, and I don't know what level various connections on a phone need.  Then, guessing I would need some kind of app to tell the video to use the input for audio in the video, rather than the phone's internal mic.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this even possible?

--- End quote ---

I know for the iphone there has to be a specific resistance presented to the 1/8" jack connections before the mic input is switched over from being one of the headphone outs.

Speed Daemon:

--- Quote from: Magnus Högkvist on July 12, 2017, 09:25:55 AM ---From what I understand, since Android 5.0 You have the ability to connect a usb sound card directly to the device.

--- End quote ---
Something like an Irig Pro might work.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-irig-pro-i-o?rNtt=irig%20pro&index=4

Perhaps a Bluetooth interface?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version