ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I have enough horsepower?  (Read 7654 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Do I have enough horsepower?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »

It is that squared off wave form that extends the duty cycle and amount of energy imparted to the coil compared to a conventional sine wave.  The more area under the wave form, the more power dissipated as heat in the voice coil.  So while the squared off wave form doesn't do damage in itself, it is how it gets that way that causes problems.

Agree 100% however if the amplifier is 1/2 the rated continuous power of the driver even a DC pulse won't harm it.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »

Just chiming in to drive home the point that the UX8800 will bring this rig to life and is worth every penny. Dollar for dollar the best money you can spend to improve this rig, even before you beef up your amplification.

I was ready to sell our 850 rig until we threw an 8800 on it and it bought itself another couple of years in the inventory.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:20:05 PM by Steven Eudaly »

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »

"i" version is going to be same as e basically.
I'll also echo that you NEED the UX processor. With it they sound modern and pretty darn good. Without, meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »

"i" version is going to be same as e basically.
I'll also echo that you NEED the UX processor. With it they sound modern and pretty darn good. Without, meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a few for sale, but good lord they are pricey! lol
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:23 AM »

What you saved on the price of the speakers is because the seller didn't want to pony up the $$ to get the needed processing.

The UX do things that pretty much nothing else can do, right out of the box, and as Eric L points out the rig is pretty "meh" by current standards without it.  The difference between conventional processing and the UX gray box settings for KF is not subtle at all.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »

What you saved on the price of the speakers is because the seller didn't want to pony up the $$ to get the needed processing.

The UX do things that pretty much nothing else can do, right out of the box, and as Eric L points out the rig is pretty "meh" by current standards without it.  The difference between conventional processing and the UX gray box settings for KF is not subtle at all.

Yep, using other means of processing and "rolling your own," even when based on EAW parameters is what gives these rigs bad wraps. Find a way to budget for the UX. You will not regret it.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »

The UX3600 is about half the price of the 8800. You could use that for the 650, then use use your dbx for the subs...

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

The UX3600 is about half the price of the 8800. You could use that for the 650, then use use your dbx for the subs...

I hope this is related enough not to be a highjack....

Where would you cross the 695z with kf940s ?

Any idea how much better the 695z would sound with the UX8800 than with settings from http://eaw.com/docs/2_Legacy_Products/Processor%20Settings/KFz_PROCS_rev2.pdf    ?

Does the 8800 actually use any FIR, or nonstandard IIR filters?  I can't tell from manual....

A friend has 4 695's and 8 940's....and needs to upgrade processing....
thx,  mark

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 01:25:34 PM »

I think running with the 3600 for the KF650's might be a better option for, at least for now being that I don't use any EAW subs and I'm quite happy with the way my current subs sound with the processing I have been using for years.

I'll keep an eye out for one.
thanks.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

Ah, the 'i' version!  Are the 15" speakers slightly offset or centered in the box?  I'm trying to figure out if they're based on the 'e' or 'z' version.  Not that it makes a lot of difference...

Tim, to answer your question, the SB600i I picked up are slightly offset in the box, top driver is hard right, bottom driver is hard left inside the cab.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.