ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redundant cable-only with Dante  (Read 5021 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Redundant cable-only with Dante
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

I'm curious...

What happens when you connect 2 CAT5e/6 cables in parallel between 2 switches? That is to say, for example, connect a CAT5e/6 cable to port #1 on switch A to Port #1 on switch B and then connect a second Cat5e/6 cable between port #2 on switch A & B.
What happens? Does it work? Does one cable become redundant for the other should one cable break?
I'm not talking about the usual redundant networking used in Dante but just redundant cabling. Just like if you paralleled 2 mic cables with Y cables at each end. One cable could break and you'd still have a signal connection.
Always wondered about this but I haven't tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
Re: Redundant cable-only with Dante
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »

Without using "Smart Switches" to manage and divide the data being transferred you will end up with packet collisions and essencially the network will ground to a hault pretty quickly.

However you can use smart switched to create an Aggregate Link, where the data being transmitted is divided between the two different ports and recombined at the other end.

This of course is keeping things very simplistic and I'm sure someone can provide a far more technically detailed answer!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »

Thanks - looking into it further, it seems like you would just set up "LAG" on the standard recommended Ciscos.
https://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=caae365b755f46f5989177cb68216304_Link_Aggregation_on_Cisco_Series_Managed_Switches.xml&

Someone was ranting on about how the Yamaha Dante switches didn't allow the switch to be split into main and secondary on the same switch (which isn't really redundancy IMHO, since it would only protect against cable issues, not switch failures), so it seems to me if you aren't worried about switch failures but want cable redundancy between, say, FOH and Stage, you could set up LAG on a Cisco and get some limited protection against cable issues?
-Andy

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:50:50 PM »

All switches should have Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) implemented.  STP prevents loops in the network topology from causing broadcast storms.  2 Cables setup between two switches (assuming a single vlan) will result in one port being disabled.

Now doing this with Dante between your primary and secondary network switches results in those networks being merged.  Same result as plugging primary and secondary into the same switch (still assuming a single vlan).  I haven't done that (since you're not supposed to) so I don't know what would happen.

From a strictly Dante point of view there is no point in connecting primary and secondary networks together.

If you're running a multi-switch network on primary and secondary side, and have enough ports then there shouldn't be any problems having a redundant connection.  If you've got managed switches that support it you can bond multiple ports together for higher aggregate bandwidth between the switches.

If you're running multiple cables without link aggregation but just relying on STP to disable the redundant connection I'm not sure how long it takes to cut over to the redundant link should the main one get damaged.

All that said, your redundant network is there to take care of all that, you shouldn't need to run redundant cabling if you have a properly implemented redundant network.

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:15:48 AM »

Someone was ranting on about how the Yamaha Dante switches didn't allow the switch to be split into main and secondary on the same switch...

While Yamaha discourages this practice, their switches definitely allow VLAN operation with one button push.  A DIP switch lets you choose from several port configurations.  I use it on one of our stage racks.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »

So... would setting up LAG on a Cisco SG300 result in cable redundancy?
-Andy

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »

So... would setting up LAG on a Cisco SG300 result in cable redundancy?

Yes.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »

Andrew,
Unless the switches are broken into VLANs and each run has it's own IP address/subnet you will create a loop which will crush your network with traffic. LAG on the SG300 will work as already stated.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »

Thanks, all.
-Andy

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »

Andrew,
Unless the switches are broken into VLANs and each run has it's own IP address/subnet you will create a loop which will crush your network with traffic. LAG on the SG300 will work as already stated.

As I said earlier, STP is there to stop loops.  Works great.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:32 PM »

Switches are not all that expensive and if redundancy is an important factor, set up a proper redundant network.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 02:10:07 PM »

Switches are not all that expensive and if redundancy is an important factor, set up a proper redundant network.
Of course. Just asking out of curiousity.
-Andy

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »

Of course. Just asking out of curiousity.

Curiosity?  I thought there might be a story behind the inquiry and management wanted you to find a "solution".

When the Dept of Redundancy Dept kicks in.... The Tom Petty tour that used the EAW ANYA rig had multiple media and mode redundancy:  optical fiber, digital copper and analog copper (and at least 2 of each, taking different paths).  I didn't ask Scovi why he wanted that much back up, but there must have been something on his mind.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.