ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: You can pry my tablet from my cold, dead fingers  (Read 19027 times)

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: You can pry my tablet from my cold, dead fingers
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »

I have been using the presonus since the studiolive first came out.  I had the 16.4.2 and used the mac and a wireless router and ipads.  People (including bands) would look at me like i was crazy until they figured out how well it worked.  I have sold several presonus systems after the bands sound guy used my ipad.  I put my large console in the trailer behind the stage and sold my whirlwind medusa foh snake.  I now still mix with the presonus (rml32ai and rml16ai) and they have come a long way since the first presonus.  I also had an xr18 and liked it.  I am just partial and familiar to the presonus stuff.  I have absolutely no regrets from going away from faders and bulky mixing consoles.  I can carry my entire rig on my shoulder and it just sits on the floor like a stage box.  All of my speakers are powered and have siamese xlr/power cables.  Super easy and neat.  My teardown now takes 30 minutes for the average band.
Most bands I see in tents at festivals have the physical desk side stage like and X32 or an X32 rack and mix out front with a tablet.   I used to be able to walk in a tent and spot FOH and know where the BE was.   Now I look out in the crowd and wonder is there is BE and where is he out there?   I have purchased a Ui24 and have joined the FOH in two laptop bags crowd.   The Ui24 is in a 10u Anvil rack case on stage.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »

Most bands I see in tents at festivals have the physical desk side stage like and X32 or an X32 rack and mix out front with a tablet.   I used to be able to walk in a tent and spot FOH and know where the BE was.   Now I look out in the crowd and wonder is there is BE and where is he out there?   I have purchased a Ui24 and have joined the FOH in two laptop bags crowd.   The Ui24 is in a 10u Anvil rack case on stage.

Sorry for the swerve, but how do you like the Ui24?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:15 AM »

Most bands I see in tents at festivals have the physical desk side stage like and X32 or an X32 rack and mix out front with a tablet.   I used to be able to walk in a tent and spot FOH and know where the BE was.   Now I look out in the crowd and wonder is there is BE and where is he out there? 

I am sure this frustrates the bands, as well.  When roaming I try to stop somewhere where I think the band will easily spot me and then return to the same spot, but being on stage with my band as often as I am the guy in the crowd wih the iPad, I can only spot the sound person quickly about 50% of the time when I'm playing and I'm married to her. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

Our backup laptop is an old 2G Atom box with Mint Linux on it.  I send them out with the x32 racks.  The shell is the x32 Linux app so you boot it up and there you are.  If you know the shortcut keys you can get to the other desktops if you need browser/shell etc.

OH, that's a great idea.  Going to steal it. Power on and go.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »

I'm in the Desk at side of stage and tablet out front crowd more and more. I use a M32r with android tablets. Mix monitors from desk or tablet and I don't have any problems with wifi with the smaller 200/300 shows I'm doing. Don't miss that snake at all!
Douglas R. Allen

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »

I am sure this frustrates the bands, as well.  When roaming I try to stop somewhere where I think the band will easily spot me and then return to the same spot, but being on stage with my band as often as I am the guy in the crowd wih the iPad, I can only spot the sound person quickly about 50% of the time when I'm playing and I'm married to her.
I realized this on my 4th of July gig.  Tried to be in sight as much as possible so they could signal things like "someone turned up too much, can you turn them down in my monitor" and so on.  But at one point they went to give me a shout out and couldn't see me, resorted to "he's out there somewhere".

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »

Sorry for the swerve, but how do you like the Ui24?
In one word ..SWEET! I still use an external router.
There is a FB Soundcraft Ui24R users page.   There is input from Harman/Soundcraft and people vote for additions in firmware etc.
Lots of useful information.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.