ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tricks for stacks  (Read 3448 times)

Dave Guilford

Tricks for stacks
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:31 pm »

Any tricks you guys have for building tall stacks?   Let's say 2+ 2x18 subs stacked - gets in the 4-6ft height range.  How to get giant mains (100lbs or more) up that high safely?   I can't imagine OSHA is cool with standing on rack cases or the back of a truck. 

Thoughts?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Tricks for stacks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:28:35 pm »

Material handling lifts.

Forklifts

Chain Gang?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Sammy Barr

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:49:57 pm »

I've seen it done off the back of a ryder truck with a lift gate.  They were able to back up to the stack and place EAW 850s on top up the subs without breaking a sweat.  I have used two ladders but the tops weren't that heavy.
You could use scaffolds in front of the stacks and place boards at different levels to help with the lift.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 01:57:42 am »

I know a couple brothers who stacked their dads 850s two high over two high SB1000s the old fashioned way, by climbing and lifting.  They were teenagers and that was just the family business.  Both are touring musicians now, probably a better life.  ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:12:01 pm »

Since this is big boy forum, I'd say use the big boy ways:  lift truck of whatever configuration or type is suitable for the terrain or facility.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »

Since this is big boy forum, I'd say use the big boy ways:  lift truck of whatever configuration or type is suitable for the terrain or facility.

This right here, and done with safety first.
BOSTON STRONG........

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 02:53:46 pm »

When I was out west, it was fairly common to see 3 tops over 3 subs for street fairs. Often the tops had a fly bar and Hoist to the stage truss that was left in place even though the weight of the tops was fully on the subs.

I never did figure out if that was just one providers technique that I would see in a number of towns,or a common technique. Honestly in those days I was semi retired from sound and was more interested in trout fishing

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:37:00 pm »

I've been occasionally pondering the same thing myself since it's likely my next speaker purchase will push me over the logistical edge to need some sort of lifting device if ground stacking.  Global Industrial seems to have some interesting solutions that might work depending on how high and heavy you need to lift.   

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:49:46 pm »

. . . in the 4-6ft height range. . .

Easiest way I have found to do this:

1) Set up the top cabinet in front of the subs, correctly oriented
2) Have one guy on each side of the top box, facing the sub stack grab the upper side handle of the top cabinet with their closest hand
3) With other hand, grab lower handle OR place hand low on front of top cabinet
4) Lift and rotate the top cabinet so that the front of the cabinet is facing down
5) Set the bottom front edge of the top cabinet on top of the stack
6) Walk the top cabinet up into position
7) Using the reverse of this method to get speakers down at the end of the night may require someone standing on top of subs to help lower speaker to handlers

Also works for loading the truck when the lift gate breaks or when some idiot bends the ramp up jamming it in after the last stop.
Bad Quail
Professional Audio
Joshua Tree, California

George Powell

• http://www.gpaudio.net
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:03:41 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clair i212
Lab Gruppen
Versarray
VRX
LS9
X32
www.gpaudio.net

State College, Pa 16803
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 17 queries.